1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Moles, Molecular Weight

1. Sep 20, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I did an experiment and found the weight of CaC(2)O(4)H(2)0 to be 31.4966 subtracted by the weight of a crucible which is 31.2612.

I put this for my weight of CaC204H20 (as I can't think of any other weight that it would be requested). I followed the next question calculating molecular weight. 146.112. After that I calculated the moles of CaC204H20 to be 1.6 x 10^-3 (not sure on this).

I now need the moles of Ca(2+ charge). There are 27.42% Ca(2+) mass percentage of it.

I don't know what to do from there. Same goes for the concentration of Ca(2+)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

If I had to guess, I would say the moles of Ca2+ are 0.2742 times 146.112, but I am not sure.

Concentration, I have no clue. I have been looking through my online notes on this for hours now. Thanks for any help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    2015 Award

Your calculation of the moles of CaC2O4*H2O is correct. According to the formula of the compound, how many moles of Ca2+ does one mole of the compound contain?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?