Chemistry Net Ionic Equation help

In summary, when a solution of nickel nitrate is added to a solution of lithium sulfide, the resulting balanced equation is Ni(NO3)2 + Li2S → NiS + 2LiNO3. The substance being oxidized is lithium sulfide. However, because nitrate is soluble, the net ionic equation is Ni2+ + S2- → NiS. The reaction is not a redox reaction and no substances are being oxidized. The reaction that takes place is the formation of nickel sulfide.
ccmetz2020

1. A solution of nickel nitrate is added to a solution of lithium sulfide. (you MUST write as a Net Ionic if appropriate).
a. BALANCED EQUATION
b. Which substance is being oxidized?

2. none really

3. I don't really have much of an attempt because it doesn't specify in the question whether I'm dealing with nickel (ii) nitrate or nickel (iii) nitrate. I know that nitrate is soluble so the answer will be a net ionic equation, but the balanced equation is hard for me to figure out. Could anyone help me here?

Physics news on Phys.org
I bet they mean Ni(II).

What do you know about sulfides?

--
methods

Nevermind. It was a trick question, nothing is being oxidized. It isn't a redox reaction!

That was obvious :smile:

Question is - do you know what reaction DOES take place?

--

Last edited:

What is a net ionic equation and why is it important in chemistry?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only shows the species that are involved in a reaction. This allows for a clearer understanding of the actual substances and ions that are participating in the reaction. It is important in chemistry because it helps to simplify complex reactions and determine the most essential components of a reaction.

How do you write a net ionic equation?

To write a net ionic equation, first write out the balanced molecular equation for the reaction. Then, identify the strong electrolytes and write out their dissociated ions. Next, eliminate the spectator ions (those that appear on both sides of the equation) and write the remaining ions as the net ionic equation.

What is the purpose of including spectator ions in a net ionic equation?

The purpose of including spectator ions in a net ionic equation is to show the complete ionic equation, which includes all of the ions that are present in the reaction. This allows for a more accurate representation of the reaction and helps to determine which ions are responsible for the observed changes.

How do you determine which ions are spectator ions in a net ionic equation?

To determine which ions are spectator ions, you must first identify the strong electrolytes in the reaction. These are compounds that dissociate completely in water. Then, compare the ions on each side of the equation to see which ones are present on both sides. Those that are present on both sides are the spectator ions.

Can a net ionic equation be used to predict the products of a reaction?

No, a net ionic equation cannot be used to predict the products of a reaction. It is only used to show the essential species involved in a reaction. To predict the products of a reaction, knowledge of the reactants and their properties is needed.