How do you name nonmetal binary compounds in chemistry nomenclature?

In summary, when naming nonmetal binary compounds, the first element is named first followed by the second element with the proper prefix indicating the number of atoms. However, no prefixes are used for hydrogen. For example, CO is named carbon monoxide and CH would be named carbon hydride.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

my book says that for nonmetal binary compounds that like

you name the first element first than the next element with the proper prefix indicating how many atoms there are of that element

CO
Carbon monoxide

Makes sense but it also says no prefixes are used for hydrogen... I'm not really sure what this means can someone give me an example like

CH

if it even exists and how you would name it would it just be the name of the first element then hydrogen regardless of the subscript on the bottom of the H

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
probably carbon hydrate

CH isn't really anything. The hydrogen thing is strange, most molecules will have hydrogen as the cation, which usually goes on the left (H2O, H2O2, HCO3...). If hydrogen is an anion (has a negative charge), it is usually called a hydride.

So, CH would be carbon hydride, NaH would be Sodium Hydride, and so on.

1. What is the purpose of nomenclature in chemistry?

The purpose of nomenclature in chemistry is to provide a systematic way of naming chemical compounds in order to accurately identify and communicate their composition and structure.

2. How do I name ionic compounds?

Ionic compounds are named by using the name of the cation (positively charged ion) followed by the name of the anion (negatively charged ion). The name of the cation is simply the name of the element, while the name of the anion is the root of the element's name with the suffix -ide. For example, NaCl is named sodium chloride.

3. What is the difference between a prefix and a suffix in chemical nomenclature?

In chemical nomenclature, prefixes are used to indicate the number of atoms of each element in a compound, while suffixes are used to indicate the type of bond between the atoms. For example, in CO2, the prefix "di-" indicates two atoms of oxygen, while the suffix "-ide" indicates a single bond between carbon and oxygen.

4. How do I name covalent compounds?

Covalent compounds are named by using prefixes to indicate the number of atoms of each element in the compound, followed by the root of the second element's name with the suffix -ide. For example, N2O4 is named dinitrogen tetroxide.

5. Are there any exceptions to the rules of chemical nomenclature?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the rules of chemical nomenclature, particularly for transition metals and polyatomic ions. It is important to consult a reliable source or use the IUPAC (International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry) system for accurate and consistent naming of compounds.