Calculating the Number of Grams of Ethanedioate Ion in 1 dm3

In summary, the question is asking for the number of grams of ethanedioate ion, C2O42- in one dm3. FA1 is made by dissolving 6 g of metal ethanedioate, MC2O4 in dilute sulpuhric acid and making up to 1 dm3 with pure water. FA2 contains 2.38g of manganate (VII) ion per dm3. The balanced equation for the reaction between oxalate and permanganate is 2MnO4- + 5C2O42- + 16H+ ----> 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O. The molarity
crays
Hi, i wonder how could i calculate the number of grams of ethanedioate ion, C2O42- in one dm3

Given:
FA1 was made by dissolving 6 g of metal ethanedioate, MC2O4 is dissolved in dilute sulpuhric acid and making up to 1 dm3 with pure water.

FA2 contains 2.38g of manganate (VII) ion per dm3.

25.0 cm3 of FA1 requires 19.65 cm3 of FA2 for complete reaction.

As I'm pretty weak in chemistry, i tried my best to solve the question. I used the (MAVA)/(MBVB) = ratio/ratio method.
But not sure if I'm right.

I also cannot differentiate if its suppose to be concentration or just pure mass. can someone help me here?

FA2 contains 2.38g of manganate (VII) ion per dm3.

does it means it have 2.38g (mass) or 2.38gdm-3 (concentration) ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all - you need balanced equation of reaction between oxalate (ethanodioate) and permanganate (manganate(VII)).

Amount of permanganate in FA2 is given as mass per volume, so it is concentration.

Erm, but it wanted ions. So i use half equation?

2MnO4- + 5C2O42- + 16H+ ----> 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O

Molarity of FA2 = 2.38/119.4

Molarity of C2O42- x 25.0 divided by 2.38/119.4 x 19.65 = 5/2

Correct ?

crays said:
Erm, but it wanted ions. So i use half equation?

2MnO4- + 5C2O42- + 16H+ ----> 2Mn2+ + 10CO2 + 8H2O

That's a correct equation. Not a half equation, but a full one.

Molarity of FA2 = 2.38/119.4

That's correct, although just dividing you get number of moles. However, mass was given per L, so it turns out the same.

Molarity of C2O42- x 25.0 divided by 2.38/119.4 x 19.65 = 5/2

You have lost me here, although it is very likely that you are OK. Just post the final number.

What is the formula for calculating the number of grams?

The formula for calculating the number of grams is mass (g) = moles (mol) x molar mass (g/mol).

How do I convert from moles to grams?

To convert from moles to grams, you multiply the number of moles by the molar mass of the substance. This will give you the number of grams.

What is the difference between molecular weight and molar mass?

Molecular weight is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule, while molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance. Molecular weight is expressed in atomic mass units (amu) and molar mass is expressed in grams per mole (g/mol).

What is the relationship between number of grams and number of particles?

The number of grams and the number of particles are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the number of grams increases, the number of particles also increases, and vice versa.

How do I convert from grams to moles?

To convert from grams to moles, you divide the number of grams by the molar mass of the substance. This will give you the number of moles.