Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry of Cooking

1. Jun 22, 2010 #1

danago

Gold Member

Ive always had an interest in cooking and whenever i get a break from uni i like to get in the kitchen and experiment a bit; must be all those organic chemistry labs getting to me :tongue2:

Anyway i also have a pretty strong interest in chemistry and would like to learn more about the chemistry involved with food and cooking processes. Does anybody know of any books or other resources that i could try and get hold of to learn more about the topic? I am a chemical engineering student, so i have a fairly decent background in the basics of chemistry.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2010 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alton Brown - Good Eats.

4. Jun 22, 2010 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  5. Jun 22, 2010 #4

danago

Gold Member

Thanks, ill definitely check that one out.

Is that the show with Heston Blumenthal? And thanks for the link. I use MIT OCW all the time but have never seen that one!

I just ordered a copy of McGee's "On Food and Cooking". Seems to get good reviews :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  6. Jun 22, 2010 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's the one I was going to recommend. A great book. Here's a snack, though....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction
    http://lancaster.unl.edu/food/ciq_onions_tears.htm [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Jun 23, 2010 #6

danago

Gold Member

Thanks for the links :smile: Ive actually read that wikipedia article already (came across it during an intense wikipedia link-surfing session haha), but the second website is new to me, looks like it contains some interesting articles.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook