1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry or physics: what to study for biophysics or neuroscience?

1. Oct 24, 2011 #1

fdo

I am interested in both physics and chemistry and I am going to choose my undergraduate studies in the next two days. A bachelor's degree in my country lasts three years and there is no major/minor option (one can study physics OR chemistry). I would love to get a master's deegre in biophysics or in neuroscience but apparently, here in Europe, you can get to these fields studying physics as well as chemistry.
    Considering the masters' curricula I have read so far, molecular biophysics concerns mainly quantum and physical chemistry (as in http://w3.dbb.su.se/~barth/masterBP/MasterBPcourses.html [Broken], for instance).
    Chemistry seems a closer and faster approach to neuroscience (neurochemistry, neurobiology).

Should I consider a degree in chemistry (focused on physical chemistry) or in physics?
    I fear I could lose too much mathematics and physics by choosing chemistry, hence I will not be able to be a "complete" biophysicist. On the other hand chemistry seems more suitable for my future interests.

Can anyone help me to figure it out?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted