Choose Between Chemistry & Physics for University Studies

In summary, the conversation is about a student who is unsure about what to study in university between physics and chemistry. They are more interested in physics but are worried about the difficulty of the mathematics. They are also curious about the job opportunities in both fields and seek advice on other potential options. The conversation also touches on the differences between studying physics and engineering, the importance of keeping an open mind, and the possibility of taking courses in both fields before making a final decision.
Mwett
Good evening,
I'm a student in my last year of high school and I'm still not sure about what I'd want to study later at University. I'm sure I want to do something with science but I am hesitating between chemistry and physics. I think I'm more interested in physics but am afraid it is going to be too difficult for me (my father advices engineering but I'm more interested in the theory so I guess physics would be better). I find chemistry also interesting but maybe a little less than physics. For both fields I'd like to know the different job you could get after your studies. Maybe some could tell me the major pratical differences between both or advice another field.
Thanks already.

Physics news on Phys.org
People who start studying physics in the university are usually first shocked by the difficulty of the new mathematics they have to learn in uni. In chemistry the mathematical methods are a lot easier. I suggest you try to read some online applied mathematics textbook, like this: http://julianoliver.com/share/free-science-books/essential-engineering-mathematics.pdf , and if the material looks so difficult that you never want to even try learning it, I suggest you choose chemistry instead of physics.

Likes Mwett
hilbert2 said:
People who start studying physics in the university are usually first shocked by the difficulty of the new mathematics they have to learn in uni. In chemistry the mathematical methods are a lot easier. I suggest you try to read some online applied mathematics textbook, like this: http://julianoliver.com/share/free-science-books/essential-engineering-mathematics.pdf , and if the material looks so difficult that you never want to even try learning it, I suggest you choose chemistry instead of physics.
Ok. Apart from the math, is there anything else that is difficult ? What would the qualities of a physicist be ?

You and your father are both correct in your own ways. Physics, yes very very mathematical, helps so much for understanding. Engineering is problem-solving to design useful things and to investigate what happened to things that went badly. Engineers will find jobs, often as engineers, or sometimes some type of technician. Chemistry skills and knowledge also are good, since some practicality is found with it, like laboratory work designing materials, measurement of amounts of materials in other materials, applicable to environmental analyses, synthesizing compounds to use as pharmaceuticals, formulating consumer household products, examing samples from production processes.

I feel the high schools have physics and chemistry courses but no courses in engineering. When I went to HS, I also was torn between physics and chemistry. I found out the college I applied to (and eventually entered) had a world-famous (undergraduate and graduate) optics program. I thought optics was just engineering. I could not imagine myself designing lenses. Little did I know the University was and still is noted for quantum optics and atomic physics. This is one of the hot disciplines in physics. Optics is not just designing lenses.

This being said, I think almost young person about to enter college will be biased towards physics or chemistry (subjects they have already demonstrated mastery in) rather than engineering, unless they have a mentor who is an engineer. My advice is keep an open mind.
Your first courses in either a science or engineering program will likely be Calculus (sometimes called analysis), Physics or Chemistry (depending out your prospective major. In some very strong science or engineering programs both may be required.) Usually you need to fill some distribution requirements so that you get a course in English, or maybe take a intro engineering course as an elective. Consequently, your next couple years will put you in the same courses, whether you major in physics or engineering, or chemistry or engineering. You can decide physics and/or chemistry, calculus, usually English or distribution requirement and perhaps engineering.

I went into physics, but I have taken several courses in aerospace and electrical engineering. All courses were extremely mathematical, and some EE and Aero E was as "theory-based" as any discipline of physics. Most likely, if your HS experience was like mine, Engineering has not been introduced as a theory-laden discipline. Alternatively, we all know about how physics involves Atomic Theory, Quantum theory, Relativity Theory. Engineering schools do have courses in Information Theory, Quantum Theory for Engineers (usually applied), Chaos Theory etc.

My suggestion is keep your mind open. You might like engineering. I think it is great that you have a plan before entering college. (I made up my mind to major in physics before I started too). But your first courses are pretty much fixed given your scientific / technical interests, and you can be flexible for awhile.

1. Which is more difficult, chemistry or physics?

Both subjects require a strong foundation in mathematics and critical thinking skills. However, the level of difficulty may vary depending on the individual's strengths and interests. Some may find chemistry more challenging due to its abstract concepts, while others may struggle with the complex mathematical equations in physics. Ultimately, it is important to choose the subject that aligns with your strengths and interests.

2. How do the career opportunities differ between chemistry and physics?

Both chemistry and physics offer a wide range of career opportunities in various industries such as healthcare, energy, and technology. However, chemistry tends to focus more on the study of matter and its properties, while physics deals with the study of energy and the laws of the universe. Therefore, the career paths for each subject may differ, but both offer valuable and in-demand skills for the job market.

3. Can I study both chemistry and physics in university?

Yes, many universities offer a joint program where students can study both chemistry and physics. This option is beneficial for those who have a strong interest in both subjects and want to gain a deeper understanding of their relationship. However, it may require a heavier workload and time management skills to succeed in both subjects simultaneously.

4. Which subject is more relevant to real-world applications?

Both chemistry and physics play a crucial role in understanding and solving real-world problems. Chemistry is involved in developing new medicines, creating sustainable materials, and analyzing environmental issues. At the same time, physics is essential in designing new technologies, exploring the universe, and solving energy-related challenges. Therefore, both subjects have significant real-world applications.

5. How can I decide between chemistry and physics if I am interested in both?

If you are interested in both chemistry and physics, it is essential to consider your strengths, career goals, and personal interests. You can also consult with your professors, career counselors, or current students in each subject to gain more insight. Ultimately, it is crucial to choose the subject that you are most passionate about and that will motivate you to excel in your studies.