What Is the Mystery Acid in Test Tube #3?

• Thread starter ldixon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is about identifying an acid in a pre-lab experiment. The question asks for an explanation of the acid that showed no reaction with all eight reactants provided. The participants discuss the properties of acids, bases, and salts and how they can be identified. They also mention the importance of understanding the concept of pH and how it relates to the strength of acids and bases. After some discussion, they come to the conclusion that the acid in question is most likely HNO3 due to its solubility and lack of visual reaction with the given reactants.
ldixon
I have a question on a pre-lab that I have to do. The question is:

You determine that test tube number 3 is an acid. It is colorless, odorless and has a very low pH value. You test the sample with all eight(8) reactants available and find no reaction(NR). What is the acid? Explain your answer.

The 8 reactants in the lab are:

KOH
AgNO3
BaCl2
NaCl
NH3(aq)
Ba(OH)2
H2SO4
Cu(NO3)2

I could not figure this out, it seems to me that every acid would react with at leat one of these? Is there an acid that would have no reaction with all of these?

Physics news on Phys.org
Start out with what you know is not an acid, then determine which is a notable strong acid and cancel that. this will help you start out

Im not sure what you mean, I don't know what the acid is that has no reaction with all 8 of the listed reactants?

do you know what every acid contains in it? if not what about a base? Also does you book give a list of salts?

Last edited:
Yes acids contain H+ and bases contain OH, and yes I think there is a list of salts in the book.

im not quite sure what they mean by "low" on the pH scale if low means a low number such as 1 or 2 then its strong, if it means a low number implying that its weak it would be like 6-6.5. Is that exactly what the question reads as written? If so it may be a little more complicated than i originally though

yes low PH means a low number, the problem is written just like that. I can not figure anything out for it.

I originally read the problem thinking which one of the given 8 acids/bases/salts were the acid which i knew was easy. Re-reading it however i noticed that you need to know what acid it would be. I did a little searching to help you and came up with this. http://www.wwnorton.com/chemistry/concepts/chapter5/ch5_4.htm

Strong bases= Very good electrolytes

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I think it would be HNO3 because it is always soluble with no exceptions, so there would be no visual reaction? Does that sound legit?

Yes, that sounds legit to me.

Reading over the main question yet another time does it imply that nr is not taking place because nothing visually happened? If so i agree with you.

1. What is a "Chemistry Pre-Lab Question"?

A Chemistry Pre-Lab Question is a question or set of questions that are provided to students before a laboratory experiment. These questions are designed to help students understand the purpose, procedure, and concepts involved in the experiment.

2. Why are pre-lab questions important in chemistry?

Pre-lab questions help students to prepare for the laboratory experiment by providing background information and guiding their thinking about the concepts that will be explored. This can lead to a deeper understanding of the experiment and its results.

3. How do pre-lab questions differ from post-lab questions?

Pre-lab questions are provided before the experiment and are meant to guide students' understanding and preparation. Post-lab questions are given after the experiment and are meant to assess students' understanding and analysis of the results.

4. Are pre-lab questions graded?

This may vary depending on the instructor or the course, but in general, pre-lab questions are not usually graded. They are meant to be a tool for learning and preparation, rather than a way to assess students' performance.

5. How can I use pre-lab questions effectively?

To use pre-lab questions effectively, read them carefully and try to answer them before conducting the experiment. Use them as a guide to help you understand the purpose and concepts of the experiment. Discuss them with your classmates or instructor if you have any questions or need clarification.