Chemistry problem dealing with solubility

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a sol'n containing various cations and the objective is to determine the compounds that would be precipitated if hydrochloric acid is added. The solubility rules are to be used to determine which compounds will not dissolve. The second part involves finding a reagent that will precipitate the smallest number of remaining cations, meaning it will allow the maximum number of compounds to dissolve. The same method is to be used for both parts of the problem.
ACLerok
I'm taking Chem II over the summer at a junior college and was given this problem on one of my homework assignments:

I am told I have a sol'n containing the cations Ag, Al, As, Ba, Bi, Ca, Cd, Co, Cr, Cu, and Fe.

My objective is to write all the compounds that would be precipitated if hydrochloric acid is added to the above sol'n.

My instincts are telling me to just use the solubility rules. For example, when Ag and hydrochloric acid combine, AgCl is formed but according to the solubility rules AgCl is insoluble so AgCl would be one of the compounds that would be precipitated. Am I going about this all wrong or what?

The 2nd part says that a reagent is now needed tha will precipitate the smalest number of remaining cations and that the best reagent for this is hydrogen sulfide plus hydrochloric acid. It then asks me to find all the compounds that would be precipitated.

Do I just go about this the same way for the first part? I don't understand when they say 'smallest number of cations'. Please can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea you are doing it right. If a compound is precipitated than it did not dissolve after combining with the HCl. All you have to do for the first part is find all the compounds that won't dissolve afterwards.

Same thing goes for the second part. The smallest number of cations simply means that a reagant is necessary so that the maximum number of compounds dissolve. In other words, this reagant will make as many compounds dissolve as possible.

Your instincts are correct in using the solubility rules to determine which compounds would be precipitated when hydrochloric acid is added to the sol'n. However, it is important to remember that not all compounds will necessarily precipitate. Some may remain in solution, depending on their solubility in the acidic environment.

For the second part, when it says "smallest number of remaining cations," it means that you should choose a reagent that will precipitate the fewest number of cations possible. In this case, hydrogen sulfide plus hydrochloric acid is the best choice because it will precipitate the most cations at once.

To find all the compounds that would be precipitated, you can follow the same method as in the first part. Use the solubility rules to determine which compounds are insoluble in the acidic environment and therefore will be precipitated. Remember to also consider the products of the reaction between the cations and the reagent (in this case, hydrogen sulfide).

I hope this helps and good luck with your Chem II studies!

1. What is solubility?

Solubility is the ability of a substance to dissolve in a given solvent. It is usually measured in terms of the maximum amount of solute that can dissolve in a certain amount of solvent at a specific temperature and pressure.

2. How is solubility determined?

Solubility is determined by various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical properties of the solute and solvent. It can also be affected by the presence of other substances in the solution, known as solubility modifiers.

3. What is the solubility rule?

The solubility rule states that "like dissolves like". This means that substances with similar polarities will dissolve in each other, while substances with different polarities will not mix well.

4. How does temperature affect solubility?

Generally, the solubility of solids in liquids increases as temperature increases. However, the solubility of gases in liquids decreases as temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for the particles to overcome the attractive forces holding them together.

5. What is the significance of solubility in chemistry?

Solubility plays a crucial role in various chemical processes such as dissolution, precipitation, and crystallization. It also affects the bioavailability of drugs and nutrients in the body, as well as the formation of natural resources like minerals and rocks.