1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Problem - Reaction Rates

1. Jan 17, 2005 #1
    I know this isn't a physics problem, but it's driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

>> The rate of a particular reaction doubles (2.0 X) when the temperature is increased from 25 C to 35 C. By what factor will the rate increase over the temperature interval of 118 C to 128 C? <<

I'm thinking I have to use the Arrhenius equation that says:
    e^(k2/k1) = e^Ea/R(1/t1-1/t2)

But I'm not given all of the information I need to solve it, am I? I'm very confused... I read over the notes handed out in class and the section in the book that covers this topic and I still can't figure it out. :confused:
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2005 #2
    this is not solvable unless you make some unrealistic assumtion..
  4. Jan 17, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

Solve for Ea. You've got everything... k2/k1=2. you've got t1=25C and t2=35C (convert to K).

Then plug in Ea, t1=118C and t2=128C to solve for k2/k1 for the second situation.
  5. Jan 17, 2005 #4
    Thanks I think I understand it now :smile: I was getting stuck with using k2/k1 being equal to 2... but since the rate is doubling, the k2 would have to be 2x larger. Thanks :D
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?