• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Chemistry Problem - Reaction Rates

• Thread starter Kawrae
  • Start date
I know this isn't a physics problem, but it's driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

>> The rate of a particular reaction doubles (2.0 X) when the temperature is increased from 25 C to 35 C. By what factor will the rate increase over the temperature interval of 118 C to 128 C? <<

I'm thinking I have to use the Arrhenius equation that says:
e^(k2/k1) = e^Ea/R(1/t1-1/t2)

But I'm not given all of the information I need to solve it, am I? I'm very confused... I read over the notes handed out in class and the section in the book that covers this topic and I still can't figure it out. :confused:

Answers and Replies

this is not solvable unless you make some unrealistic assumtion..

learningphysics
Homework Helper
Kawrae said:
I know this isn't a physics problem, but it's driving me crazy because I can't figure it out.

>> The rate of a particular reaction doubles (2.0 X) when the temperature is increased from 25 C to 35 C. By what factor will the rate increase over the temperature interval of 118 C to 128 C? <<

I'm thinking I have to use the Arrhenius equation that says:
e^(k2/k1) = e^Ea/R(1/t1-1/t2)

But I'm not given all of the information I need to solve it, am I? I'm very confused... I read over the notes handed out in class and the section in the book that covers this topic and I still can't figure it out. :confused:
Solve for Ea. You've got everything... k2/k1=2. you've got t1=25C and t2=35C (convert to K).

Then plug in Ea, t1=118C and t2=128C to solve for k2/k1 for the second situation.

Thanks I think I understand it now :smile: I was getting stuck with using k2/k1 being equal to 2... but since the rate is doubling, the k2 would have to be 2x larger. Thanks :D