Chemistry Problems: Can You Help Me Solve These Three?

• Thread starter s133kgtvr4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses three problems that need to be solved: finding the formal charge on atoms in HOFO, determining the Lewis structure of SiCl2Br2, and identifying the electron dot structure of CHClO. The solutions involve writing HOFO as a neutral species with lone pairs on fluorine, a tetrahedral geometry for SiCl2Br2, and a central carbon atom in CHClO with four covalent bonds.
s133kgtvr4
I have three problems that I need help with solving. I can't seem to get the right answer for them.

1) What is the formal charge on each of the atoms in HOFO?

2)What is the lewis structure of SiCl_2Br_2?

3)What is the electron do structure of CHClO?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HOFO can be written as a neutral species, I think.
H-O-F=O with two lone pairs on Fluorine

The central atom of SiCl2Br2 is Si, and its geometry is tetrahedral, with no lone pairs.The electron dot structure is hard to input here, so I'll describe it.
C with a single bond (:) to H and a single bond (:) to Cl
The same C with a double bond (::) to O

kalery said:
HOFO can be written as a neutral species, I think.
H-O-F=O with two lone pairs on Fluorine

Not likely. F with a double bond and 2 LP would violate the octet rule as written above. There is no double bond in HOFO.

Oxoacids as in HXO where X = Group 15, 16, 17 non-metal , X is the central atom.
H is bonded to an O not the X

Think of HClO4, HClO3, HClO2 (HFO2) and HClO

The central atom is usually the element with a subscript of 1 (lonely one) but when it is ambiguous as in CHClO, then C (or Group 4 element as in SiCl2Br2) is usually the central atom as it fills its octet with 4 covalent bonds.

1. What are the common types of chemistry problems?

The most common types of chemistry problems involve stoichiometry, thermodynamics, acid-base reactions, redox reactions, and equilibrium.

2. How do I solve stoichiometry problems?

To solve a stoichiometry problem, you must first balance the chemical equation, then use the mole ratio to convert between units of the given substance to the desired substance.

3. What is the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions?

An exothermic reaction releases heat energy, while an endothermic reaction absorbs heat energy. This can be determined by looking at the change in enthalpy (ΔH) for the reaction.

4. How do I calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] is the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. Alternatively, you can use a pH meter to directly measure the pH.

5. What is the difference between a strong acid and a weak acid?

A strong acid completely dissociates in water, meaning all of its molecules break apart into ions. A weak acid only partially dissociates, resulting in a lower concentration of hydrogen ions in solution.