1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry problems

1. May 14, 2010 #1
    There are books with challeging questions in math and in Physics. However, I've never heard of problem books (challeging problem books) in Chemistry. My main source of problems in chemistry are chemistry olympiad questions.

Do you know any challeging chemistry problems book?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

There was a very interesting book with questions that I have used back in eighties during physical chemistry course. It was already old (judging from how these books looked like they were published at least ten years earlier in Poland, and I think it was a translated book, so original must have been even older). As far as I remember most questions (or perhaps even all questions) there were taken from some original publication, so you were given experimental values as determined by original authors and you were asked to calculate whatever they have calculated. Unfortunately, it was almost 30 years ago and I don't remember neither title nor authors. But I will ask.

4. May 14, 2010 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

OK, I am almost sure that's the book:

Problems in physical chemistry,
    Sillén, Lars Gunnar
    New York, Prentice-Hall, 1952

5. May 19, 2010 #4
    Thanks Borek!
    I couldn't find it though.:frown:

Does anybody else know any other challenging chemistry book?

6. May 19, 2010 #5

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

try IChO problems

7. May 19, 2010 #6
    Well, IChO and IChO preparatory problems are hard, but I don't find them as creative as Irodov is in Physics. When they're hard, it's usually because they demand a specific fact you don't know or they involve a lot of calculations.
    In fact, the tests which select students who will represent my country at IChO are more creative than most IChO problems... they usually demand more creativity than knowledge - just the kind of problems I like.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook