Mom's Bad Idea: Will Bleach Help Cat Pee Smell?

• Thread starter Assilroc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Idea Smell
In summary, mixing bleach and cat urine is extremely dangerous as it produces toxic vapors. Chloramines can be toxic to fish and are used to disinfect water in most water systems. However, at the concentration likely found in a washing machine, the risk to humans is low. Chlorine, found in bleach, is also harmful and can produce carcinogens in drinking water. Natures miracle brand cleaner is a safe alternative for removing cat urine odor, as bleach can damage clothing fibers. In a tub full of water, the amount of ammonia in cat urine is not enough to cause a reaction. Dentists also use chloramines to dissolve cavities as an alternative to drilling. Overall, it is important to avoid mixing bleach and ammonia to prevent dangerous
Assilroc
TL;DR Summary
Cat urine and bleach
So my cat peed on the towels(bu the smell not today) It stunk really bad, like ammonia. Then my mom said it will be fine and put them in the washing machine. As she added the bleach I said that would be a bad idea. How wrong is she?

Likes atyy and berkeman
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Likes BillTre
Assilroc said:
Summary:: Cat urine and bleach

So my cat peed on the towels(bu the smell not today) It stunk really bad, like ammonia. Then my mom said it will be fine and put them in the washing machine. As she added the bleach I said that would be a bad idea. How wrong is she?
Chloramines are produced when bleach comes into contact with ammonia. NH2Cl, NHCl2 and NCl3 are strong oxidizers bit not stronger than bleach. They are toxic to fish but not so toxic to humans. In fact, they are used to disinfect water in most water systems. Gasp! You’ve likely been drinking it your entire life!

At the concentration you are likely to encounter in the washing machine, you are probably as safe as you would be if you used bleach without any ammonia present.

Bleach (chlorine) is nasty stuff too, y’know! It produces trihalomethane in drinking water. Carcinogen, it is.

• Informative
Likes BillTre, berkeman and Assilroc
chemisttree said:
Gasp! You’ve likely been drinking it your entire life!
And swimming in it in the pool.
( Of course no one pees in the pool :smile: ).

Likes BillTre, atyy, chemisttree and 1 other person
Natures miracle brand cleaner has enzymes that break down the stinky molecule in cat piss. Works well. Can be used on color clothing and furniture.

Bleach tends to oxidize everything including the fibers that make your clothes hold together. Burning things with a torch will remove cat odors too.

• Informative
Likes hmmm27, Assilroc and berkeman
Within context of a tub full of water, the amount of ammonia in the cat pee won't cause a problem : there will be reaction products, but not enough to jump out of solution.

Likes Assilroc
If you are worried you could insist on doing a pre-wash or a 20min before going serious with the bleach.

By the way, I've just come across what 'chamber lye' meant o0)

Likes Assilroc
Likes atyy

1. How does bleach help with cat pee smell?

Bleach is a powerful disinfectant that can kill the bacteria and enzymes present in cat urine, which are responsible for the unpleasant smell. It also helps to break down the chemical compounds in urine that can cause lingering odors.

2. Is bleach safe to use on cat urine?

No, bleach is not safe to use on cat urine. The chemical compounds in bleach can react with the ammonia in cat urine, creating toxic fumes that can be harmful to both humans and pets. It is best to avoid using bleach on cat urine and opt for pet-safe cleaning products instead.

3. Will bleach completely remove the cat pee smell?

While bleach can help to eliminate the odor of cat urine, it may not completely remove the smell. This is because cat urine can seep into porous surfaces, such as carpets and furniture, making it difficult to completely eradicate the smell. It is important to thoroughly clean and disinfect the affected area to help eliminate the smell.

4. Can I mix bleach with other cleaning products to remove cat pee smell?

No, it is not recommended to mix bleach with other cleaning products, as this can create harmful chemical reactions. It is best to use bleach on its own and follow the instructions on the product label carefully.

5. How can I prevent my cat from peeing in the house?

There are a few steps you can take to prevent your cat from peeing in the house. Firstly, make sure your cat has access to a clean litter box at all times. You can also try using a pheromone spray or diffuser, which can help to reduce stress and prevent inappropriate urination. It is also important to address any underlying medical or behavioral issues that may be causing your cat to urinate outside of the litter box.