Separate Ag^+, Ca^2+, and Ni^2+ ions from a solution

• Thread starter howie222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ions
In summary, a user is having trouble solving a chemistry question involving the separation of Ag^+, Ca^2+, and Ni^2+ ions from a solution with a concentration of 0.1M each. They suggest using a method involving selective precipitation of salts and provide a link to a document with detailed experimental procedures. The user is unsure about the specific amounts of reagents to add and seeks confirmation from others. They mention the use of Ksp values and the formation of a NiS precipitate when adding H2S to Ni^2+. They also ask about the precipitate formed when adding (NH_4)_2CO_3 to remove Ca^2+ ions.
howie222
Hello everyone.

I came here because I'm having trouble with a chemistry question an you guys seem to know what you're talking about =)

I need to sepearate Ag^+, Ca^2+, and Ni^2+ ions from a solution. each of these is at a 0.1M concentration.

I've never done this type of question before... what method should I be looking in to?

I'm thinking maybe I could form precipitates by adding certain anions.. but I'm not sure which ones, I'm also not sure if order matters or when I should be filtering.

would someone be kind enough to point me in the right direction? :smile:

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
this link describes theory & methods to separate your indicated metal ions. it's fairly detailed in the experimental procedures.

http://www.csun.edu/~hfchm006/CationSeparation.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the link!

1) First remove the Ag+ ions by adding HCl(aq) which will precipitate as AgCl(s)

2) Filter

3) Remove the Ni^2+ ions by adding H2S(aq) which would form a NiH(s} precipitate.

4) filter

5)Remove the Ca^2+ ions by adding (NH_4)_2CO_3 forming a precipitate with ?

6) filter

and the ions are removed.

but what about the fact that I was given .1M concentration for each...am I supposed to have specific amounts that need to be added? or can i just add until the precipitate stops forming?

howie222 said:
but what about the fact that I was given .1M concentration for each...am I supposed to have specific amounts that need to be added? or can i just add until the precipitate stops forming?
altho you are told each metal ion conc = 0.1M, you are not told how much total solution you have to work with. therefore, you can't specify exact reagent amounts to add.

unless you provide your own "example" metal ion solution amount (say 100 ml), you can only specify to add reagent until precip stops (which will be reagent in slight excess of exact amount required).

however, if you take an example amount of 100 ml metal ion solution and example reagent solutions of 1M conc, then you can calculate approximate amounts of reagent to add, altho you will still want to add slight excess of reagent.

thanks for your response =) I think you're right, but at the same time its a little odd that they would give me the concentrations...

can i get a confirmation from someone? I'm pretty sure that I'm right based on that document you showed me, but just want to make sure.

thanks

anyone?

just want to make sure that i don't have to do anything with the fact that they all have a concentration of .1 M

Have you learned about selective precipitation of salts, and significance of using ksp values? In that method, the concentration of the metal ion is required.

Also, when you add H2S to Ni2+, the precipitate is NiS (black ppt) and not NiH.

thanks for the response, yes I did learn about Ksp values, and their significance, but its been awhile :smile: I'll look into that now.

also,

Remove the Ca^2+ ions by adding (NH_4)_2CO_3

any idea what precipitate this would form?

1. How can I separate Ag^+, Ca^2+, and Ni^2+ ions from a solution?

There are several methods for separating these ions from a solution. One method is to use selective precipitation, where a specific reagent is added to the solution to form a precipitate with one of the ions, leaving the other ions in solution. Another method is ion exchange chromatography, where the ions are separated based on their charge and affinity for certain resin beads. Distillation and electrolysis are also possible separation methods.

2. What is selective precipitation and how does it work?

Selective precipitation is a method of separating ions based on their solubility in a particular reagent. For example, adding hydrochloric acid to a solution containing Ag^+, Ca^2+, and Ni^2+ ions will cause Ag^+ to form a precipitate (AgCl) while Ca^2+ and Ni^2+ ions remain in solution. The precipitate can then be filtered out, leaving behind a solution containing only Ca^2+ and Ni^2+ ions.

3. How does ion exchange chromatography separate ions?

In ion exchange chromatography, the ions are separated based on their charge and affinity for certain resin beads. The resin beads are coated with charged groups that attract and bind with ions of opposite charge. As the solution containing Ag^+, Ca^2+, and Ni^2+ ions passes through the resin, the ions are selectively bound to the resin beads and separated from each other. The bound ions can then be eluted from the resin using a specific eluent, allowing for individual separation of the ions.

4. Can distillation and electrolysis be used to separate these ions?

Yes, both distillation and electrolysis can be used to separate Ag^+, Ca^2+, and Ni^2+ ions from a solution. Distillation involves boiling the solution to vaporize the ions and then condensing them back into liquid form. This method is effective for separating volatile ions. Electrolysis involves passing an electric current through the solution, causing the ions to move towards their respective electrodes and form separate layers. This method is effective for separating ions with different reduction potentials.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a method to separate these ions?

The choice of separation method will depend on various factors such as the specific ions present, their concentrations, and the desired purity of the separated ions. Some methods may be more suitable for certain ions or may require specific equipment or expertise. It is also important to consider the cost and time involved in each method. It is recommended to consult a trained professional and conduct thorough research before choosing a method for ion separation.