1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry question (Stoichiometry)

1. Sep 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

During the Apollo missions, each lunar module decelerated toward the surface of the moon by the oxidation of "Aerozine-50" fuel. Aerozine-50 is a blend of hydrazine, N2H4, and dimethylhydrazine, CH3()2N2H2, 50% by mass in each component (known to infinite precision). Nitrogen tetroxide, N2O4, was used as the oxidizing agent.

c. Determine the depth in centimeters of the equivalent water ice layer (density = 0.92 g/cm3) deposited on the surface if spread evenly over a circle 1.8 km in diameter.

2. Relevant equations

Assume that 2701 kg of Aerozine-50 was used in each deceleration, and that each component underwent ideal combustion according to the following unbalanced reactions:
    N2H4+N2O4→N2+H2O (1)
    CH3()2N2H2+N2O4→N2+H2O+CO2 (2)

3. The attempt at a solution

All I'm asking is if the ice layer is going to be cylinder or a sphere? I know how to do the problem i'm just not sure which they'd like.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2010 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

You have wrong parentheses in dimethylhydrazine, it should be (CH3)2N2H2.

Assume cylinder - at this scale surface of the Moon can be considered flat.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?