1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Question

1. Feb 3, 2006 #1
    I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for this question ?

Mg + H2SO4 ----> MgSO4 + H2

Cacluate the minimum mass of magnesium metal that would be required to completely neutralise 0.50 L of 1.0 mol l-1 sulfuric acid.

My calculations so far ...

Mr(H2SO4) = 2xAr(H) + Ar(S) + 4xAr(O)
    = 98

Mr(MG) = 24.31

Molarity = 1.0mol / 0.50L = 2

But I am at a loss as to how I get to the final answer .....
    Any help would be most appreciated !

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2006 #2

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

From the reaction you have written, 1 mole of H2S04 is neutralised by 1 mol of Mg. So, what is the number of moles of H2S04 in .5 L? And this will require how many moles of Mg?

4. Feb 3, 2006 #3
    Thanks for the reply,

It states that there is 1.0mol of sulfuric acid so the amount of magnesium required would be 1.0mol as well ?

5. Feb 3, 2006 #4

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, it states that there is 1.0 mol per litre of sulphuric acid. So, in 0.5 litres, how many moles are there? That will be equal to the number of moles of Mg required.

Once you find the number of moles of Mg required, do you know how to find the mass of Mg? (Hint: What is the relation between atomic weight, number of moles and mass of the substance?)

6. Feb 3, 2006 #5
    That has helped a lot ! Thankyou.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?