Unlocking the Chemistry Behind Fizzy Bath Bombs

• Thread starter Inquiring_Mike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the bath bombs create fizz and then become soluble in water when mixed with substances like citric acid and sodium hydrogen carbonate.
Inquiring_Mike
We have recently created "bath bombs" in our chemistry class and I was wondering what it was in these bombs that made them react with(creates a fizz) and then they become soluble in water.
Here is the materials list.
-citric acid
-sodium hydrogen carbonate
-olive oil
-cornstarch
-ester(we created our own)

We mixed the citric acid, cornstarch and sodium hydrogen carbonate first, then mixed in the olive oil and ester. Then we let it sit for 2 days... What is it that makes it react with water? Is it the NaHCO3?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello Inquiring Mike!

From your description I'd have to guess that all your ingredients are dry right? That would make sense..

NaHCO3 is baking soda, similar to the stuff that goes into pop/soda. This is a base, and it will react with an acid in an aqeous environment -> when you put it into the bathtub CO2 gas forms, creating the bubbles.

The olive oil might just be added since it is good for the skin? Prevent it from drying out, after spending hours in the bathtub experimenting with the bath bomb ;P

The starch too, I'd guess it doesn't really add much to the reaction, besides maybe stabilize the dry form of the product.

The ester is an aromatic substance, nice fragrance!

Did you try it yet?? I wonder if it really works nicely!

Yup, it works well...
What would the purpose of the cornstarch and citric acid be?

The NaHCO3 is a base and in order for it to decompose it needs an acid, citric acid for instance. You would get water and the CO2 gas as a result.

Cornstarch is not reactive, it serves to keep the dry product in a stable form (so that the citric acid (lemon juice) and the NaHCO3 (baking soda) can't react in dry form). It does this simply by sitting in between the molecules and keeping them apart.

Too bad I don't have a bathtub anymore, I would have tried it myself :P

Esters smell nice. But they make lousy perfumes. Make sure you rinse well, or you'll be sticking it up all day.

1. What makes bath bombs fizz?

The fizzing sensation in bath bombs is caused by a chemical reaction between baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and citric acid. When these two ingredients are combined with water, they produce carbon dioxide gas, resulting in the fizzy effect.

2. Are all bath bombs made with the same ingredients?

No, there are many different variations of bath bomb recipes. While most formulations include baking soda and citric acid as the main ingredients, other additives such as essential oils, colorants, and moisturizing agents can be added to create unique combinations and scents.

3. How do bath bombs change the color of the water?

Bath bombs can change the color of the water by incorporating colorants, such as food coloring or cosmetic-grade dyes, into the mixture. These colorants dissolve in the bath water, creating vibrant hues and making your bath experience more visually appealing.

4. Can bath bombs be harmful to the skin?

Generally, bath bombs are safe for the skin. However, some people with sensitive skin may experience irritation or allergic reactions to certain ingredients in the bath bomb. It is always recommended to patch test new products before using them in a full bath.

5. How can I make my own bath bombs at home?

Making your own bath bombs at home is a fun and easy project! You will need baking soda, citric acid, cornstarch, Epsom salt, essential oils, water, and colorants (optional). Mix all the dry ingredients together, then add the wet ingredients slowly while stirring. Once the mixture is the consistency of wet sand, pack it into molds and let it dry for at least 24 hours before using.