Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Question

1. May 6, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone.
    here i come back again.
    I have a homework question that i really need help with. the question says:
    How many nodal surfaces are there for a 2s orbital and for a 3px orbital?

There is another question that says: What evidence indicates that the octet structures might be more stable than others?

I am wating for ur respose...please respond to me as soon as possible.......... i really need ur help.
  2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2005 #2
    First question has recently been asked and answered here, due a search. Second question is some how resonating with me ;)
  4. May 7, 2005 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We can not respond until you post your thoughts first...
    Last edited: May 7, 2005
  5. May 8, 2005 #4
    ok i think i got it

for the first question...i think a 2s orbital has ero nodal surfaces and a 3px orbital has 3 or 1 nodal surfaces.....i am not really sure

for the second question is it when the atom doesn't react with any other atom because it is stable.?? for ex. noble gases?? :confused:
  6. May 8, 2005 #5
    For your first question, this website should give you straightforward visual answers:http://www.shef.ac.uk/chemistry/orbitron/AOs/3s/index.html
  7. May 8, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Very good. Chemical inertness is definitely evidence of the stability that comes from the octet configuration.
  8. May 15, 2005 #7
    please inform me.

Thanx for answering my second question. I was wondering if u could tell me if my answer to the 1st question was right. please tell me if it is right or wrong cuz i am not sure abt it.. :uhh:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?