How do I determine which chemical is in which bottle

• Thread starter h_k331
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with identifying two bottles of chemicals, one containing Copper (II) Sulfide and the other containing Copper (II) Sulfate Pentahydrate. The suggested solution involves heating a small amount of each chemical to determine which one releases moisture. However, the solubility rules and the use of water to see which chemical remains solid may also provide a solution. Additional information is provided on the color of the copper ion and the role of complex ions in determining color.
h_k331
I have two bottles of chemicals. I know that one bottle is Copper (II) Sulfide, and the other is Copper (II) Sulfate Pentahydrate. One bottle contains blue crystals and the other bottle contains black crystals. Problem is, the bottles aren't labeled, so the question is how do I determine which chemical is in which bottle.

My thought is to heat a small amount of each chemical, and the one that releases moisture is the Copper (II) Sulfate Pentahydrate. Only problem is that we are currently studying solubility, not hydrates, so I expected the answer to have something to do with solubility. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

hk

Physics news on Phys.org
In reply to my own post, I was reading over the solubility rules again and noticed that compounds containing sulfide are insoluble. I sopose I just need to put a small amount of each in water and see which one remains solid.

hk

Thanks Astronuc.

hk

Question 1:

How do I determine which chemical is in each bottle?

To determine which chemical is in each bottle, you can start by checking the label on the bottle. The label should have the name of the chemical and any other important information such as its concentration or any hazards. If the label is missing or unreadable, you can use various chemical tests or equipment to identify the chemical.

Question 2:

What are some common chemical tests used to identify chemicals in bottles?

Some common chemical tests used to identify chemicals include color tests, flame tests, and pH tests. These tests involve adding a small amount of the chemical to a specific solution or exposing it to heat or flame to observe its reaction. The results of these tests can help determine the identity of the chemical.

Question 3:

Can I use my senses to determine which chemical is in which bottle?

No, it is not safe or recommended to use your senses to determine which chemical is in a bottle. Many chemicals have no odor or color, and some can be harmful if inhaled or touched. It is important to rely on proper labeling and chemical testing to accurately determine the contents of a bottle.

Question 4:

Is there a database or resource I can use to identify chemicals in bottles?

Yes, there are various databases and resources available to help identify chemicals. The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) provides a free online database called the NIST Chemistry WebBook, which contains information on thousands of chemicals. There are also chemical reference books and websites that can aid in chemical identification.

Question 5:

Are there any safety precautions I should take when determining which chemical is in a bottle?

Yes, it is important to always wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when handling chemicals. This may include gloves, goggles, and a lab coat. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area and follow proper handling and disposal procedures. If you are unsure of the identity of a chemical, it is best to seek assistance from a trained professional.