1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Question

1. Sep 26, 2005 #1
    How many moles of ions are present in aqueous solutions prepared by dissolving 10.00 g of the following compounds in water to make 4.35 L of solution?

(a) cobalt(III) chloride
    (b) aluminum carbonate
    (c) potassium permanganate
    (d) strontium hydroxide

I first converted the 10.00 g into moles, and divided by the molar mass of each of the compounds, and multiplied the result by 4.35 L. But I am not obtaining the correct answer.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2005 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you show how you did that for the first compound? It will make it easier to see where you're going wrong.

Thanks.

4. Sep 26, 2005 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Upon closer inspection, I have a question.

Why would you do that? :confused: If you convert from grams to moles, multiplying by liters is only going to screw up the units.

5. Sep 26, 2005 #4
    Ok so we have cobalt(III) chloride or [itex] CoCl_{3} [/itex]. Its molar mass is [itex] 58.93 + 3(35.34) = 164.95 [/itex]. 10 g of this stuff is thus 0.06 moles. All I know know is that [itex] M = \frac{mol sol}{L solv} [/itex]

6. Sep 26, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Yah, [itex] M = \frac{moles}{volume} [/itex]

7. Sep 26, 2005 #6

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, that's a big help. I can clearly see exactly why you are not answering the question. :biggrin:

Look at the dissociation reaction:

[tex]CoCl_3(s)\longrightarrow Co^{3+}(aq)+3Cl^{1-}(aq)[/itex]

Now the question asks you how many moles of ions are in each solution. So once you have the number of moles of [itex]CoCl_3[/itex], you need to use stoichiometry to get the number of moles of each ionic species. Then, since the question asks for the number of moles of ions in the solution, you'll have to add up the results.

Same goes for the other compounds.

You don't need this at all.

8. Sep 26, 2005 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's a hint for you: Read again what it is that the question is asking for. Sometimes there is extra information you don't need (or maybe you need it for another part of the question). Also, it is asking for how many moles of ions you have. What extra step might you need to add to account for that?

Edit: Tom was quicker than I was! :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?