Chemistry Question on moles of ions

In summary: Tom, can you please help me out with this? I'm not getting the correct answer. I've converted the 10.00 g into moles and divided by the molar mass of each of the compounds, and multiplied the result by 4.35 L. But I am not obtaining the correct answer.Any help is appreciated.
courtrigrad
How many moles of ions are present in aqueous solutions prepared by dissolving 10.00 g of the following compounds in water to make 4.35 L of solution?

(a) cobalt(III) chloride
(b) aluminum carbonate
(c) potassium permanganate
(d) strontium hydroxide

I first converted the 10.00 g into moles, and divided by the molar mass of each of the compounds, and multiplied the result by 4.35 L. But I am not obtaining the correct answer.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
plugpoint said:
I first converted the 10.00 g into moles, and divided by the molar mass of each of the compounds, and multiplied the result by 4.35 L.

Can you show how you did that for the first compound? It will make it easier to see where you're going wrong.

Thanks.

Upon closer inspection, I have a question.

plugpoint said:
and multiplied the result by 4.35 L.

Why would you do that? :confused: If you convert from grams to moles, multiplying by liters is only going to screw up the units.

Ok so we have cobalt(III) chloride or [itex] CoCl_{3} [/itex]. Its molar mass is [itex] 58.93 + 3(35.34) = 164.95 [/itex]. 10 g of this stuff is thus 0.06 moles. All I know know is that [itex] M = \frac{mol sol}{L solv} [/itex]

Yah, [itex] M = \frac{moles}{volume} [/itex]

plugpoint said:
Ok so we have cobalt(III) chloride or [itex] CoCl_{3} [/itex]. Its molar mass is [itex] 58.93 + 3(35.34) = 164.95 [/itex]. 10 g of this stuff is thus 0.06 moles.

OK, that's a big help. I can clearly see exactly why you are not answering the question. :biggrin:

Look at the dissociation reaction:

[tex]CoCl_3(s)\longrightarrow Co^{3+}(aq)+3Cl^{1-}(aq)[/itex]

Now the question asks you how many moles of ions are in each solution. So once you have the number of moles of [itex]CoCl_3[/itex], you need to use stoichiometry to get the number of moles of each ionic species. Then, since the question asks for the number of moles of ions in the solution, you'll have to add up the results.

Same goes for the other compounds.

All I know know is that [itex] M = \frac{mol sol}{L solv} [/itex]

You don't need this at all.

plugpoint said:
Ok so we have cobalt(III) chloride or [itex] CoCl_{3} [/itex]. Its molar mass is [itex] 58.93 + 3(35.34) = 164.95 [/itex]. 10 g of this stuff is thus 0.06 moles. All I know know is that [itex] M = \frac{mol sol}{L solv} [/itex]
Here's a hint for you: Read again what it is that the question is asking for. Sometimes there is extra information you don't need (or maybe you need it for another part of the question). Also, it is asking for how many moles of ions you have. What extra step might you need to add to account for that?

Edit: Tom was quicker than I was! :biggrin:

1. What is a mole?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent the amount of a substance. It is defined as the amount of a substance that contains the same number of particles as there are atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12.

2. How is the number of moles of ions calculated?

The number of moles of ions is calculated by dividing the total mass of the ions by the molar mass of the compound. This can be represented by the formula: moles = mass (g) / molar mass (g/mol).

3. Can the number of moles of ions be negative?

No, the number of moles of ions cannot be negative. Moles are a unit of measurement and cannot have a negative value. However, the charge of an ion can be negative if it has gained electrons, making it an anion.

4. How do you convert moles to ions?

To convert moles to ions, you need to know the molar mass of the compound and the number of moles. Then, you can use the formula: ions = moles x Avogadro's number. Avogadro's number is equal to 6.022 x 10^23, representing the number of particles in one mole of a substance.

5. Why is the concept of moles important in chemistry?

The concept of moles is important in chemistry because it allows for easier calculations and comparisons between different substances. It also helps to understand the relationship between mass, number of particles, and volume of a substance. Additionally, many chemical reactions and equations are balanced based on the number of moles of each substance involved.