What are the historical uses and discovery of Beryllium?

• Thread starter !Live_4Ever!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, an element is a pure substance made up of one type of atom while a compound is made up of multiple types of atoms bonded together. The number of neutrons in an atom can be determined by subtracting the atomic number from the mass number. Exothermic reactions release heat energy while endothermic reactions absorb heat energy. A catalyst speeds up a chemical reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. The reactivity of an element can be determined by its position on the periodic table and elements on the left side tend to be more reactive.
!Live_4Ever!
Chemistry question..pretty urgent..

Hi, I am doing an element assigment and I was assigned to do Beryllium. Does anyone know how to get overly-detailed information on how Beryllium was discovered and its historical usages? I got everything except those 2 aspects of the assignment.. I only know that Beryllium compounds were used in fluorescent lighting tubes until 1949.

Thanks in advance..=)

Physics news on Phys.org
I did a project on Palladium, if you need that?

Hello, I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with your assignment on Beryllium. Beryllium was first discovered by French chemist Louis-Nicolas Vauquelin in 1798. He isolated the element from beryl, a mineral found in emerald and aquamarine gemstones. The name "beryllium" comes from the Greek word "beryllos," which means "precious blue-green color."

Historically, Beryllium has been used for a variety of purposes. In the early 20th century, it was used as a component in alloys for aircraft engines and other high-performance machinery due to its strength and light weight. During World War II, it was used to make parts for nuclear weapons. However, its use in these applications has declined due to the health hazards associated with Beryllium exposure.

In addition to its use in fluorescent lighting tubes, Beryllium compounds have also been used in X-ray windows, computer components, and as a neutron moderator in nuclear reactors. Beryllium is also used in the production of high-performance sports equipment, such as golf clubs and bicycle frames.

If you need more detailed information, I suggest checking out scientific journals and academic articles on Beryllium. You can also visit reliable websites, such as the National Institutes of Health or the Chemical Education Digital Library, for more information on its discovery and historical usages. I hope this helps with your assignment. Good luck!

What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more different types of atoms bonded together.

How do you determine the number of neutrons in an atom?

The number of neutrons in an atom can be determined by subtracting the atomic number (number of protons) from the mass number (total number of protons and neutrons).

What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases energy in the form of heat, while an endothermic reaction absorbs energy in the form of heat.

What is the purpose of a catalyst in a chemical reaction?

A catalyst is a substance that speeds up a chemical reaction by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur. It does not undergo any permanent chemical change itself.

How can you determine the reactivity of an element?

The reactivity of an element can be determined by its position on the periodic table. Elements on the left side of the periodic table tend to be more reactive, while elements on the right side are less reactive. Additionally, elements in the same group tend to have similar reactivity.