1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry - Quick Check, Please

1. Feb 26, 2007 #1
    Just double checking to see if the product is correct:

H2SO4 + LiOH ---> H2O + LiHSO4

or is it LiSO4?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What the valency of lithium? What's the valency (or the net charge) on the sulfate radical (you can deduce this from H2SO4)? Use these to determine the incorrect formula among the two you've written.

4. Feb 27, 2007 #3
    uhh by valency do U mean valnce electrons, and therefore combining capacity? I don't know what you are talking about for the 2nd half of your explanation because I am in grade 12 and we have not done anything like that.

5. Feb 27, 2007 #4
    Im actually guessing now that I can just look at the chart and see that H2SO4 is monoprotic, and therefore the correct answer is LiHSO4

6. Feb 27, 2007 #5
    yes it is LiHSO4 because Li is 1+ and HSO4 is 1-

7. Feb 28, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ka2 for sulfuric acid is not small. I'm most people would call it diprotic.

But saying LiHSO4 is the dominant product is not a wrong answer. On the other hand, LiSO4 is an incorrect formula. The product of the neutralization of LiHSO4 would be Li2SO4.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?