Chemistry: Writing Rate Law from Rate Constant & Order

In summary, the difference between pseudo rate constant and rate constant is that the pseudo rate constant is a measure of how quickly a reaction proceeds while the rate constant is a measure of how often a reaction occurs. The rate law for this reaction is Rate = k'[D]^m where k' is the pseudo rate constant and D is the dye. k is the rate constant and OCN- is the concentration of bleach.
JameB
Homework Statement
So I'm doing a lab report on the reaction of food dye with bleach. I have a couple of questions:

1) What's the difference between pseudo rate constant and rate constant?? (i.e. k' vs. k)

2) How do I write the rate law for this reaction? I graphed the data and found the reaction order with respect to dye to be 1 and then comparing the changes in k' with respect to the changes in bleach concentrations revealed that the order with respect to bleach was also 1. The pseudo rate constant was 0.1669 (the average slope of all the trials).

How do I go about writing the rate law? In the explanation it says that the rate law simplifies to Rate = k'[D]^m (where D is the dye) because there is a large excess of bleach present.

The attempt at a solution

I think the rate law should be Rate = k[D][OCN-]

But I'm not sure if the pseudo rate constant can be just substituted as k. and the partial orders for each should be 1 because that's what I found the orders with respect to Dye and OCN ions. Is that correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a similar inquiry in which I was able to find the order of the reactants and want to plug them into the rate law formula, but don't know how to eliminate the "prime" aspect of k' to just get the value of k alone.

Anyone out there have a suggestion?

Do you know what a pseudo rate constant is?

I do not. Although I think I may have answered my own question. :)

If you don't know what it is, there is no way to solve the problem. Unless you just played with the numbers till the result fit the key - but this is hardly "solving".

nvm, I got the answer by reading more of my textbook :P

1. What is a rate law in chemistry?

A rate law in chemistry is a mathematical equation that relates the rate of a chemical reaction to the concentration of the reactants. It is used to determine the rate of a reaction at a given time and under specific conditions.

2. How is a rate law determined?

A rate law is determined by conducting experiments and observing the change in concentration of the reactants over time. By comparing the initial rates of the reaction under different conditions, the order of each reactant can be determined and used to write the rate law equation.

3. What is the rate constant in a rate law?

The rate constant, also known as the rate coefficient, is a proportionality constant that relates the rate of a reaction to the concentration of the reactants. It is represented by the symbol k and is specific to each reaction at a given temperature.

4. How do you determine the order of a reactant in a rate law?

The order of a reactant in a rate law can be determined by conducting experiments and comparing the initial rates of the reaction with different initial concentrations of that reactant. The order is equal to the coefficient of the reactant in the rate law equation.

5. Can the rate constant change over time?

The rate constant is dependent on the temperature, so it can change if the temperature of the reaction changes. However, under constant temperature conditions, the rate constant remains constant and does not change over time.