What Factors Affect the Measurement of Reaction Rates in a Closed System?

In summary, the conversation discusses a chemical reaction and identifies the correct answer for experimentally measuring its rate. The answer is determined to be changing the pressure of the system, as it will affect the concentration of CO2 and therefore the rate of the reaction. The incorrect options of changing the concentration of water and the concentration of Cl ions are also discussed and dismissed. The conversation then briefly mentions the option of changing the mass of the system, but it is determined to be a wrong option and not worth further consideration.
mikeyman2010
I came across this question on one of the practice papers I have and isn't sure about the answer, any help would be appreciated.

The following reaction occurs at constant temperature and constant volume in a closed system:

CaCO3(s) + 2H(ion)(aq) + 2Cl(ion)(aq) -> CO2(g) + H2O(l) + Ca(ion)(aq) + 2Cl(ion)(aq)

Changing which of the following would be useful in experimentally measuring the rate of this reaction?

a) The mass of the system

b) The pressure of the system

c) The concentration of water

d) the concentration of Cl ions

I think that the answer should be b), since c) and d) is obviously incorrect. Water is the product, so increasing its concentration doesn't help to determine the rxn rate. Cl ions cancel out at either end, and I don't know what the heck mass of the entire system means in terms of the reaction. Does it mean increasing the mass of every substance in the equation? Plz help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Au contraire, the correct answers are (c) and (d) !

Er, how can it? the chlorine ions exist on both sides, and they don't take part in the reaction itself. Water molecules exists only on the product side. There's also only 1 correct answer.

The correct answer is B. Changing the pressure will change the concentration of [itex]CO_{2} (g)[/itex]. Since the rate of the reaction can be expressed as
[tex]\frac{\Delta [CO_{2}]}{\Delta t}[/tex]
changing [itex][CO_{2}][/itex] will change the rate. C will change the equilibrium point of the reaction, but not the rate.

Last edited:
Oops ! I've bungled.

Yes, B will change the reaction rate. I did not notice a gaseous species. C and D are not correct for exactly the reasons you pointed out.

Sorry for the screw up !

Yeah, i thought it was b) too. The main problem I'm having is understanding what increasing the mass of the "system" means. Can anyone explain? Does it mean increasing the mass of the entire reaction, such as all of the substances, etc.?

Yes, that could be one interpretation. But since it is a wrong option, I wouldn't break my head over what the author/teacher meant by it.

Huh? What do you mean by that?

What is a chemical reaction rate?

A chemical reaction rate is the speed at which a chemical reaction occurs. It is measured by the change in concentration of a substance over time.

How is reaction rate affected by temperature?

As temperature increases, the reaction rate also increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for particles to collide and react, leading to a faster reaction.

What role do catalysts play in reaction rates?

Catalysts are substances that speed up a chemical reaction without being consumed in the process. They lower the activation energy needed for a reaction to occur, increasing the reaction rate.

How does concentration affect reaction rate?

As the concentration of reactants increases, the reaction rate also increases. This is because there are more particles present to collide and react, leading to a higher rate of successful collisions.

What factors can affect reaction rates?

Aside from temperature and concentration, factors such as surface area, pressure, and the presence of catalysts can also affect reaction rates. Additionally, the nature of the reactants and the presence of impurities can impact the rate of a chemical reaction.