Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry review books?

1. May 19, 2006 #1
    Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for review on basic Chemistry topics. I will be taking my first college chemistry class next semester and just want something to do over the summer to be prepared for the course. I did take a chemistry class in high school, but forgot almost all of it.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The text by Brown, Bursten and Le May is used extensively at the introductory college level. Check your library for it.

4. May 20, 2006 #3
    Thanks! It's on Amazon for only 10 bucks...9th edition though. I think it will suffice. :cool:

5. May 20, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

10 bucks ??!! That can't be right. It costs about $150, last time I checked.

Can you post the exact URL where you found the $10 deal ?

6. May 20, 2006 #5
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...ref=sr_pb_a/002-5173594-9838453?condition=all

I contacted the seller and he said it was 9th edition hardcover so its not bad at all.

7. May 20, 2006 #6
    I used this book in high school and it gives a great introduction to chemistry with plenty of examples and practice problems. Wish I hadn't sold it back.

8. May 21, 2006 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. May 24, 2006 #8
    A Guide to the Elements, by Albert Stwertka--a real page turner! Doesn't mention quarks, enthalpy, Moles, or equations (etc), but really a neat read.

10. May 24, 2006 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This book, however, teaches very little in terms of real concepts, and will not serve the purpose of the OP. It is mostly just a casual read aimed at the lay man.

11. May 25, 2006 #10
    He did not say that he wants to become a chemist. He wants to take a class. Maybe he could really enjoy it and ask some great questions, once he reads this book. Kind of whet the curiosity. That could be conducive to learning.
    (esp. at the price of 5 credits:bugeye: )

Gokul, I am really sorry I said that solar wind is a red herring. Hey
    waitaminute! What's wrong with lay man?! Do you have something against them?

12. May 26, 2006 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Paula, the OP's intention was not to be able to ask great questions, but to review the concepts. The book you suggested is restricted to a very small area of chemistry, and even within that area, it does not teach many of the fundamantal concepts.

13. May 26, 2006 #12
    Hi Gokul,

Well, it's his 1st college class. Sometimes it's not good to try to dump the whole truck on a person right away. Maybe he just wants to get his basic atoms & isotopes staight.

And besides, I bet even YEW don't know how those sunglasses get dark and then turn light again when you come inside.

Maybe he is a marketing major. ahah.

14. Jul 3, 2006 #13
  15. Jul 4, 2006 #14
    For AP Chemistry, I suggest Zumdahl
    (although I used an earlier edition...)

16. Jul 4, 2006 #15
    I really like the one we're using right now in general chemistry (Chemistry: The Molecular Science by Moore, Stanitski and Jurs). Its set up very nicely and the concepts are explained in a clear, easy to understand type of way. However, its a little more comprehensive than a "review book." If you want a basic review, Introductory Chemistry by Tro is also good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?