Is Cu2+ Soluble with Cl-? Solubility Dependence on Charge and Size

In summary, the conversation discusses the question of whether Cu2+ is soluble with Cl- and if Cu+ and Cu2+ are treated the same when determining solubility. The speaker mentions consulting a solubility chart, but notes that the solvent should be specified and that solubility is not absolute. They also bring up Latimer's equation, which explains the empirical relationship between solubility and charge and size of an ion.
Fusilli_Jerry89
The question asks if Cu2+ is soluble with Cl- or not. I'm looking at my solubility chart and it says Cl- and Cu+ are low solubility. But I am wondering, does it matter if it is Cu+ or Cu2+? Are they both treated the same and therefore low solubile, or is just Cu+ low soluble?

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you write down the original question EXACTLY as it was given to you?

The solubility product is a strong function of the solvent - you can't speak of solubility without specifying the solvent. If unspecified, one must assume it is in water. Further, there are no absolutes in solubility (everything is soluble to some extent - that extent is defined by the solubility product).

Do you know what a solubility product is?

yes i do but it is not necessary in this question. I will show you a copy of the table we get.

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/grade12/english/release/exam/0608CH_p.pdf

(page 24)

Notice how the table has Cu+ on it, but not Cu+2? I was just wondering if both of these ions with different combining capacities are treated as the same thing when determining whether it will be soluble or low soluble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't find the question there, but I do see the table.

No, you can not assume that Cu(II) will have similar solubility to Cu(I). The charge density is much higher, and hence the hydration energy is also greater, making the ion more soluble.

Look up Latimer's equation for the empirical dependence of solubility on charge and size of an ion.

1. What is solubility in chemistry?

Solubility is the ability of a substance, known as the solute, to dissolve in another substance, known as the solvent. It is a physical property that depends on factors such as temperature, pressure, and the chemical nature of the substances involved.

2. How is solubility measured?

Solubility is typically measured in units of grams per 100 milliliters (g/100 mL) or moles per liter (mol/L). It can also be expressed as a percentage, with 100% representing complete solubility.

3. What factors affect the solubility of a substance?

Temperature, pressure, and the chemical nature of the solute and solvent all affect the solubility of a substance. Generally, as temperature increases, solubility also increases. However, this is not always the case and can vary depending on the specific substances involved.

4. How do you calculate the solubility of a substance?

The solubility of a substance can be calculated by dividing the mass of the solute that can be dissolved in a given amount of solvent by the total mass of the solution, and then multiplying by 100 to get a percentage.

5. What is the difference between solubility and miscibility?

Solubility refers to the ability of a substance to dissolve in another substance, while miscibility refers to the ability of two substances to mix together to form a homogeneous solution. Solubility is a specific type of miscibility, where the substances involved are a solute and a solvent.