1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Solubility Question

1. Jan 17, 2007 #1
    The question asks if Cu2+ is soluble with Cl- or not. I'm looking at my solubility chart and it says Cl- and Cu+ are low solubility. But Im wondering, does it matter if it is Cu+ or Cu2+? Are they both treated the same and therefore low solubile, or is just Cu+ low soluble???

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can you write down the original question EXACTLY as it was given to you?

The solubility product is a strong function of the solvent - you can't speak of solubility without specifying the solvent. If unspecified, one must assume it is in water. Further, there are no absolutes in solubility (everything is soluble to some extent - that extent is defined by the solubility product).

Do you know what a solubility product is?

4. Jan 19, 2007 #3
    yes i do but it is not necessary in this question. I will show you a copy of the table we get.

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/exams/search/grade12/english/release/exam/0608CH_p.pdf

(page 24)

Notice how the table has Cu+ on it, but not Cu+2? I was just wondering if both of these ions with different combining capacities are treated as the same thing when determining whether it will be soluble or low soluble.

5. Jan 19, 2007 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't find the question there, but I do see the table.

No, you can not assume that Cu(II) will have similar solubility to Cu(I). The charge density is much higher, and hence the hydration energy is also greater, making the ion more soluble.

Look up Latimer's equation for the empirical dependence of solubility on charge and size of an ion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?