1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry solution colors question

1. Jan 21, 2008 #1
    I was looking through some AP Chem materials and tehre were a lot of questions regarding colors of solutions.

Is there some handy dandy guide I can use to figure out the colors of various aqueous solutions? and also the colors of various compounds when the burn?
    We really don't touch upon this in my ap chem class and my book doesnt really speak of it. so i'm not sure where to find this information.

also for anyone who took the AP Chemistry exam, what was the hardest part of the exam?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2008 #2
    errmm transition metal salts in solution produce coloured compounds. this is the only one i know.

you will learn the colours when you practice... this is how i learned them.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  4. Jan 22, 2008 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Don't you mean Cd?

5. Jan 22, 2008 #4
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2008
  6. Jan 22, 2008 #5
    awww i was thinking about Cu2O which is a solid (the precipitate from benedict's). i messed up.

thnks for pointing out, i'm gonna correct that.

7. Jan 22, 2008 #6
    Interesting, most Cu solutions produce blue, But Cupric Oxide makes red. I wonder why that is. I suppose copper is red, but most Cu base minerals llike azurite are blue or green. Hmm, I think I just got myself confused.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?