Chemistry solution colors question

• Thread starter desichick07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in identifying the colors of solutions and compounds in AP Chemistry. The participants recommend practicing to learn the colors, and provide resources such as transition metal salts producing colored compounds and the use of flame tests. There is also mention of confusion regarding the color of copper compounds and minerals.
desichick07
I was looking through some AP Chem materials and tehre were a lot of questions regarding colors of solutions.

Is there some handy dandy guide I can use to figure out the colors of various aqueous solutions? and also the colors of various compounds when the burn?
We really don't touch upon this in my ap chem class and my book doesn't really speak of it. so I'm not sure where to find this information.

also for anyone who took the AP Chemistry exam, what was the hardest part of the exam?

Physics news on Phys.org
errmm transition metal salts in solution produce coloured compounds. this is the only one i know.

you will learn the colours when you practice... this is how i learned them.

Last edited:
Kushal said:
errmm transition metal salts in solution produce coloured compounds. this is the only one i know.

you will learn the colours when you practice... this is how i learned them.

like potassium flame is lilac or Cu+(aq) is red...

Don't you mean Cd?

awww i was thinking about Cu2O which is a solid (the precipitate from benedict's). i messed up.

thnks for pointing out, I'm going to correct that.

Interesting, most Cu solutions produce blue, But Cupric Oxide makes red. I wonder why that is. I suppose copper is red, but most Cu base minerals llike azurite are blue or green. Hmm, I think I just got myself confused.

1. What is the relationship between a substance's color and its chemical composition?

The color of a substance is determined by the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or reflected by its molecules. Different chemical compositions absorb and reflect different wavelengths, resulting in different colors.

2. Why do some solutions change color when a chemical reaction occurs?

When a chemical reaction takes place, the chemical composition of the solution changes, resulting in a change in the wavelengths of light that are absorbed or reflected. This change in light absorption causes a change in color of the solution.

3. How can we determine the concentration of a solution based on its color?

The intensity of a solution's color is directly proportional to its concentration. This means that the more concentrated a solution is, the more intense its color will be. By comparing the color of a solution to a known standard, we can determine its concentration.

4. Can the color of a solution be used to identify the presence of a specific chemical compound?

Yes, the color of a solution can be used as a qualitative test to identify the presence of certain chemical compounds. For example, some compounds have characteristic colors that can be used for identification purposes.

5. How do temperature and pH affect the color of a solution?

Temperature and pH can both affect the color of a solution. Changes in temperature can alter the rate of chemical reactions, which in turn can affect the color of a solution. pH also plays a role in determining the color of certain solutions, as some substances may change color in response to changes in acidity or alkalinity.