Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Speech - Urgent Help

1. Feb 15, 2005 #1

aek

Chemistry Speech - Urgent Help!!

I've got a speech next week upon this topic "outline examples of the selection of metals for different purposes based on their reactivity, with a particular emphasis on current developements in the use of metals". If any-one can help in any matter, little or large, it will be highly beneficial and indeed i would be very grateful. The speech is about the 4 minute guideline. Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Look up uses for stainless steel, aluminum, chromium. Compare with iron or copper. Also look up uses for zinc.

4. Feb 15, 2005 #3

aek

yeah that can be oryt, anything more in detail?

5. Feb 15, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first three metals above (along with the noble metals) are chemically inert, for different reasons. That makes them useful in various areas. Iron and copper are not so inert, and hence...

And zinc is fairly reactive, making it useful in a different way.

Looking at the discoveries, uses and even the prices (over time) of these metals is also quite an interesting study.

To tell you any more would be doing your work for you.

6. Feb 16, 2005 #5

aek

hehe thats true,
    but i don't mind if you do more work.
    if you could help anymore please do.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?