Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Texts

1. Jun 7, 2006 #1
    Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of good chemistry/biochemistry texts that I could work through. So far my chemistry background is two undergraduate level general chemistry courses, two undergraduate level organic chemistry courses and one biochemistry course (I just finished my first year at university). I'm finishing my prerequisite courses so i can get into the medical laboratory science program where I will take lots of courses in clinical chemistry, biochemistry, medical genetics and toxicology and was hoping to maybe get some basic knowledge before I get there from other texts. I am also doing this for general interest as I find the material very interesting and fun to work through. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great, thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2006 #2
    Oh and the texts that I have been using for my courses so far include
    1) General Chemistry : Principles and Modern Applications by Petrucci, Harwood and Herring 8th Edition
    2) Organic Chemistry by Solomons and Fryhle 8th Edition
    3) Essential Biochemistry by Pratt and Cornely

I will continue to read through these texts as the classes I have taken have not covered all of the information in them, however I am hoping to find some other good texts to read through as well that will be more beneficial towards the courses I will encounter in medical laboratory science.

4. Jun 8, 2006 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lehninger, Biochemistry is solid (even the later editions by Nelson & Cox), but these books cost a fortune! If you've got one book already, I'd only think of picking up a copy of Lehninger if someone's selling it used for pennies. The only other general Biochem text I've heard good things about is Voet. Blackburn & Gait is good for Nucleic acid chemistry.*

Solomons' book for Organic is pretty good - I'd rate it second among the books I've been exposed to. It's a lot like Morrison & Boyd, which I liked a little better. The best person to recommend organic texts would likely be movies.

* All of this is second hand knowledge.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  5. Jun 12, 2006 #4
    Eventually I will have to buy the Lehringer text as it is required for further biochemistry courses at my univeristy. It will be about 97 dollars used CDN from what I saw at the university bookstore, which is about how much all my books cost used. Thanks for the suggestion Gokul, if there are any more i would appreciate hearing them.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?