Chemistry:the d block. equations.

• Thread starter coolnufc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the d block, or transition metals, is a group of 40 elements located in the middle of the periodic table. They have partially filled d orbitals and exhibit similar chemical and physical properties. D block elements are known for their high melting and boiling points, density, and ability to form colored compounds. They are also good conductors of heat and electricity. These elements are named using their symbol or full name in chemical equations. D block elements are important in various fields such as medicine, technology, and manufacturing due to their diverse uses and ability to form complex compounds.
coolnufc
Could anyone help me with this, i have an answer but I am sure its not right.

Bleach is an aqueous solution of sodium chloride and sodium chlorate(l), NaClO, in a 1:1 ratio. It is produced by dissolving chlorine gas in cold dilute aqueous sodium hydroxide.

a) write a balanced equation for the reaction of chlorine with sodium hydroxide to form bleach.

Ive got:
Cl2 + 2NaOH -> NaCl + NaClO + H20.

anyone check this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good to me

Your balanced equation is correct. The reaction between chlorine and sodium hydroxide in cold dilute aqueous solution produces bleach, which is a mixture of sodium chloride (NaCl) and sodium chlorate(l) (NaClO). This reaction is important in the production of bleach, as it is the main method for producing sodium hypochlorite (NaClO), which is the active ingredient in bleach. The d block elements, specifically chlorine and sodium, play a crucial role in this chemical reaction as they are the reactants that form the final product, bleach.

1. What is the d block in chemistry?

The d block, also known as the transition metals, is a group of elements located in the middle of the periodic table. These elements have partially filled d orbitals and exhibit similar chemical and physical properties due to their electron configurations.

2. How many elements are in the d block?

There are 40 elements in the d block, ranging from scandium (atomic number 21) to zinc (atomic number 30).

3. What are the typical properties of d block elements?

D block elements are known for their high melting and boiling points, high densities, and ability to form colored compounds. They are also good conductors of heat and electricity.

4. How are d block elements named in chemical equations?

D block elements are named using their element symbol or their full name. For example, iron can be represented as Fe or written out as iron in a chemical equation.

5. Why are d block elements important in chemistry?

D block elements have a wide range of uses and applications in fields such as medicine, technology, and manufacturing. They also play important roles in biological processes and can form complex compounds with a variety of other elements.