Chemistry very easy I forgot how to do this

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary: So in your equation for every 4 moles of gold, you need 8 moles of cyanide. In summary, the process of separating gold from other materials involves the use of potassium cyanide. The balanced reaction equation shows that for every 4 moles of gold, 8 moles of potassium cyanide are needed. This information can be used to determine the minimum amount of KCN needed to extract a specific amount of gold.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

For many years the recovery of gold-that is, the separation of gold from other materials-involved the use of potassium cyanide:

4AU + 8KCN + 02 +2H20 -> 4KAu(CN)2 + 4KOH

What is the minimum amount of KCN in moles needed to extract 29.0 g (about an ounce) of gold?

Now my question is one of the proper equations as I don't know what symbol to use for which quantity...

I understand that

mass = (molecular mass)(moles of mass)
were mass has units of grams, g, symbol used curvy M, mass of each element in the compound times subscripts of the element i.e. C2 would be 2(12.00g) = 24.00 g
mole of mass is the coeficent before the compound in the balanced reaction equation

m = Mn

I then would go to use subscripts were if the question asked about a compound on in part of the reactant balanced equation I would just use a R for a subscript and a Y for yield

now this problem bothers me

dividing the equation above by Mn I get

m/(Mn) = 1

and then go do the problem but sense the question is making reference to two reactants I had to use A and B for subscripts as well were A is the gold compound and B is the KCN compound

(m_R_A)/( (M_R_A)(n_R_A) ) = (m_R_B)/( (M_R_B)(n_R_B) )

solving for m_R_B

( (m_R_A)(M_R_B)(n_R_B) )/( (M_R_B)(n_R_B) ) = m_R_B

now my probelm is that I know that m_R_A is given in the problem 29.0 g so I now that m = Mn solving for n I get m/M I need to solve for n so clearly then

(m_R_B)/(M_R_B) = n_R_B = ( (m_R_A)(n_R_B) )/( (M_R_B)(n_R_B) )

clearly my use of symbols is wrong but it makes sense were n_R_B is the is the 8 and also what the probelm is asking for me clearly a probelm but here is what I did

( (29.0 g Au)(8 mol KCN) )/( (197.0 (g Au)/(mol Au))(4 mol Au) ) = .294 mol KCN

clearly this is a probelm even though its write because in the equation I said that KCN was 8 moles but when I solved I got .294 mol KCN are these two different values because they are both the amount of moles of KCN

I'm kind of confused please let me know how to make sense of this in my equation and understand how they are different and the symbols I should use to indicate so as I don't know how to do this please let me know if you don't understand

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't make this more complicated than it has to be. Remember your equation:
4AU + 8KCN + 02 +2H20 -> 4KAu(CN)2 + 4KOH

You will see that for every mole of gold you need how many moles of cyanide? Can you tell from just looking at your equation? What is the ratio of gold/cyanide?

1. What is the definition of chemistry?

Chemistry is the scientific study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. It includes the study of atoms, molecules, elements, compounds, and how they interact with each other.

2. How can I easily remember chemical formulas?

One way to remember chemical formulas is by using mnemonics, which are memory aids that use patterns or associations to help remember information. Another way is by understanding the periodic table and the rules for naming compounds.

3. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a substance that cannot be broken down into simpler substances by chemical means, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more elements that are chemically bonded together in a fixed ratio.

4. How can I balance chemical equations?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms on the product side. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of each compound or element.

5. What are the types of chemical reactions?

The five main types of chemical reactions are synthesis, decomposition, single replacement, double replacement, and combustion. These reactions involve the rearrangement of atoms and the formation or breaking of chemical bonds.