Chemistry Word Equations: Ca + Na -> Ca3Na2 | Balanced Equation Included

• Thread starter Sorry!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the conversation is about solving a chemistry problem involving a word equation and a balanced equation. The initial attempt at the solution was incorrect, but the correct balanced equation is 2Ca + O2 > 2CaO.
Sorry!

Homework Statement

Ok I am absolutely terrible at chemistry and a friend asked me to help her with this and she has no one else so i figured I would come here.

Write the word equation and balanced equation:

Ca(s) + Na2(g) -> Ca3Na2(s)

The Attempt at a Solution

Would the word equation just be Calcium + Sodium -> Tricalcium disodium? what about the balanced equation?

6Ca + 2Na2 -> Ca3Na2(s)

I have a feeling I'm doing this completely wrong lol.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not going to touch the "word equation." I wonder whether the compound is really called Tricalcium disodium...sounds funny.

You have 6 calcium atoms on the left hand side and only 3 on the right hand side. How is that balanced?

Perhaps something like "n moles of solid calcium plus ... yields ... " ?

You sure it is not nitrogen instead of sodium?

--

That balances it.

1. What is a chemistry word equation?

A chemistry word equation is a representation of a chemical reaction using words instead of chemical symbols. It shows the reactants on the left side of the arrow and the products on the right side.

2. How do you balance a chemistry word equation?

To balance a chemistry word equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the arrow. This is done by adding coefficients (numbers in front of a chemical formula) as needed.

3. What does Ca + Na -> Ca3Na2 represent?

This equation represents a reaction between calcium (Ca) and sodium (Na), producing the compound calcium sodium (Ca3Na2).

4. Is this equation balanced?

Yes, this equation is balanced. There are 3 calcium atoms and 2 sodium atoms on both sides of the arrow.

5. Why is it important to balance a chemical equation?

Balancing a chemical equation is important because it ensures that the law of conservation of mass is followed. This means that the same number of atoms of each element are present before and after the reaction, and no atoms are created or destroyed.