Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemo Reacting Volumes Of Gasses q's

1. Oct 15, 2003 #1
    Hi guys i need a bit of help, with a couple of questions, if possible can someone show me how to work these with the answer, thanks a lot, any help appreciated!

1.A mixture of 2 litres of methane (Ch,4) and 4 litres of oxygen was ignited causing a combustion. Calulate the composition and volume of the gaseous mixture remaining.

2. A mixture of 40cm^3 of hydrogen and 40cm^3 of oxygen was sparked to create an explostion. calculate the compostition and final volume of the resultant gas mixture.

any help guys!
    cheers

si
    :wink:

ps, sorry i only just found there was a hwk zone bit, if a mod wants 2 move it is fair enough

Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2003 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi SiCharlton, how are you every supposed to be able to solve this?? Is the system enclosed? What are the pressures? How much heat is released? I can't help you on this one..

4. Oct 15, 2003 #3
    It's just like any other of these chemistry problems. First, figure out how many moles of material you have. Then figure out the limiting reagent. Then figure out how much product you get. The total volume after reaction will depend on the number of mole of product plus the number of moles left of the limiting reagent.

You do know how to get moles from volume of gas and vice versa, right?

5. Oct 15, 2003 #4
    chemicalsuperfreak thankyou very much helped a lot!!!
    :>:>:> all done now,
    cheers
    si

6. Oct 16, 2003 #5

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, yeah, but..

The volume of a gas depends on its temperature and under how much pressure it is.. there is nothing said about that in the question, especially.. what happens after an explosion? The volume would fill the room.

Anyway, if it solved it for you, SiCharlton, than it is all good.

7. Oct 16, 2003 #6
    If it's not stated assume STP. You can also assume it's a sealed container, a closed system, and that the final state will also be STP. Just to simplify things. You also have to assume a complete reaction resulting in a single prouct. And the latter is probable the most difficult to justify if this were a real world problem.

8. Oct 16, 2003 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

STP is not a necessary assumption; it is necessary to assume ideal gas behavior, and that reactants and products are at the same conditions of T,P. Information enough is given to determine mole ratios only.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  9. Oct 16, 2003 #8
    Yes, for this question. But often there are questions where the pressure and temperature do matter, and it is not given. And in these cases STP is conventionally assumed. Plus, knowing the volume of one mole of gas at STP makes for quite an easy "back of the envelope" approach to this problem.

10. Oct 16, 2003 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What was that conversion constant? 14.6 seems to stand out in my memory, am I right? I haven't used that in like 4-5 years so I could be very far off

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?