Chemo Reacting Volumes Of Gasses q's

• Thread starter SiCharlton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volumes
In summary: Originally posted by MoniqueWhat was that conversion constant? 14.6 seems to stand out in my memory, am I right? I haven't used that in like 4-5 years so I could be very far off.That conversion constant is a measure of how much energy is required to convert one mole of gas into another. It's typically expressed in Joules.
SiCharlton
Hi guys i need a bit of help, with a couple of questions, if possible can someone show me how to work these with the answer, thanks a lot, any help appreciated!

1.A mixture of 2 litres of methane (Ch,4) and 4 litres of oxygen was ignited causing a combustion. Calulate the composition and volume of the gaseous mixture remaining.

2. A mixture of 40cm^3 of hydrogen and 40cm^3 of oxygen was sparked to create an explostion. calculate the compostition and final volume of the resultant gas mixture.

any help guys!
cheers

si
:wink:

ps, sorry i only just found there was a hwk zone bit, if a mod wants 2 move it is fair enough

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi SiCharlton, how are you every supposed to be able to solve this?? Is the system enclosed? What are the pressures? How much heat is released? I can't help you on this one..

It's just like any other of these chemistry problems. First, figure out how many moles of material you have. Then figure out the limiting reagent. Then figure out how much product you get. The total volume after reaction will depend on the number of mole of product plus the number of moles left of the limiting reagent.

You do know how to get moles from volume of gas and vice versa, right?

chemicalsuperfreak thankyou very much helped a lot!
:>:>:> all done now,
cheers
si

Originally posted by Chemicalsuperfreak
It's just like any other of these chemistry problems. First, figure out how many moles of material you have. Then figure out the limiting reagent. Then figure out how much product you get. The total volume after reaction will depend on the number of mole of product plus the number of moles left of the limiting reagent.

You do know how to get moles from volume of gas and vice versa, right?
Well, yeah, but..

The volume of a gas depends on its temperature and under how much pressure it is.. there is nothing said about that in the question, especially.. what happens after an explosion? The volume would fill the room.

Anyway, if it solved it for you, SiCharlton, than it is all good.

Originally posted by Monique
Well, yeah, but..

The volume of a gas depends on its temperature and under how much pressure it is.. there is nothing said about that in the question, especially.. what happens after an explosion? The volume would fill the room.

Anyway, if it solved it for you, SiCharlton, than it is all good.

If it's not stated assume STP. You can also assume it's a sealed container, a closed system, and that the final state will also be STP. Just to simplify things. You also have to assume a complete reaction resulting in a single prouct. And the latter is probable the most difficult to justify if this were a real world problem.

STP is not a necessary assumption; it is necessary to assume ideal gas behavior, and that reactants and products are at the same conditions of T,P. Information enough is given to determine mole ratios only.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Bystander
STP is not a necessary assumption; it is necessary to assume ideal gas behavior, and that reactants and products are at the same conditions of T,P. Information enough is given to determine mole ratios only.

Yes, for this question. But often there are questions where the pressure and temperature do matter, and it is not given. And in these cases STP is conventionally assumed. Plus, knowing the volume of one mole of gas at STP makes for quite an easy "back of the envelope" approach to this problem.

What was that conversion constant? 14.6 seems to stand out in my memory, am I right? I haven't used that in like 4-5 years so I could be very far off

What is chemo reacting volumes of gasses?

Chemo reacting volumes of gasses is a scientific concept that describes the relationship between the volume of a gas and its chemical reactions.

How is chemo reacting volumes of gasses measured?

Chemists use a variety of methods to measure chemo reacting volumes of gasses, including gas chromatography and gas density measurements.

What factors affect chemo reacting volumes of gasses?

The temperature, pressure, and chemical composition of a gas all play a role in its chemo reacting volumes. Changes in these factors can alter the behavior and reactions of gases.

Why is understanding chemo reacting volumes of gasses important?

Understanding chemo reacting volumes of gasses is crucial for many scientific and industrial applications, such as producing and storing gases, studying atmospheric chemistry, and developing new materials and technologies.

What are some real-life examples of chemo reacting volumes of gasses?

Examples of chemo reacting volumes of gasses can be found in everyday life, such as the expansion of air in a bicycle tire when it is pumped up, the release of carbon dioxide bubbles in a carbonated drink, and the combustion of fuel in a car's engine.