Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheney: Above the law, again?

1. Jun 22, 2007 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obviously he thinks so.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003758120_cheney22.html

So he is part of the executive branch is when it's convienent, but he's not when it's not. Which is it?

These guys make Nixon look like a Boy Scout. I can't even begin to express the contempt, no, the hatred felt towards this administration. At this point it is beyond words. IMO, Cheney and Bush are a greater threat to Constutional law than any terrorist ever could be.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2007 #2
    hahaha, Ivan - man Dick HAS to do that. It's the only way to keep the terrorists from murdering you. Don't you see? IT'S THE ONLY WAY!

In all seriousness, this is apalling. I've not heard one word of this on any "mainstream" ( i.e. television ) news source. Has anyone?

Such news needs to be disseminated far and wide to every citizen. I'd be willing to bet more people know Paris Hilton is in jail than are aware of even half the fiascos of the current administration.

4. Jun 22, 2007 #3
    Cheney is an evil person. He has managed to give himself presidential powers without having to be held accountable for anything. It is as if he is running a secret presidency within the recognized presidency.

yet as you mentioned the news media would rather cover trivial crap. It is all about money now, sensationalism sells. PBS is about the last bastion of valid news reporting.

5. Jun 22, 2007 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Even PBS is crap, now. Have you ever watched Gwen Ifill ask a politician a tough, pointed question? She lobs softballs, and she acts apologetic even then. About the only place you can find real investigative reporting now is on Democracy Now!, when Amy Goodman invites real journalists on the show. TV news is all about news-reading and not about digging and reporting.

6. Jun 22, 2007 #5
    You are probably right to a great extent. I guess I was thinking about several of the Bill Moyers recent programs such as, Selling The War".

As far as Cheney goes here is a link that contains an interesting video depiction of Cheneys secret government.

http://www.progressivedailybeacon.com/more.php?page=opinion&id=1457

7. Jun 22, 2007 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree about Ifill. She just doesn't have the edge needed for serious investigative reporting. Lehrer is still pretty good though. Moyers is almost always good, and I think Russert still does a superb job on Meet the Press. The CBS Sunday show Face the Nation is a joke ever since Rather went down. But I do still like Stephanopoulis on This Week.

Anyway, this should hit the evening news tonight... at least I would hope!!!

8. Jun 22, 2007 #7
    I really really hope that SOB goes to jail to die there
    he is an very very evil man without a oz of goodness
    but is very good at covering his boney rear end
    and letting others take the fall

9. Jun 22, 2007 #8
    saddly john stewert and his ''fake news'' is about the best out there
    how sad is that!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Jun 24, 2007 #9
    Is Cheney safe in the bunker of his mind

Cheney on a number of occasions claimed that he is not a part of the Executive Branch. Lately I have been reading that at times he has claimed that he is not a part of the Legislative Branch. He seem to change branches depending on who wants information from him.

Has this turkey and his Halliburton lawyers found or ask Bush to give him some loop hole that the rest of the country is unaware of ?? It is time to get rid of the dirty laundry, but with the Supreme Court stacked I don't think it will happen.

I have seen fellow Republicans speak out against Bush but never against Cheney.

Here is a video clip that was on Fox news arguing both sides.

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Fox_pundit_Cheney_in_secure_undisclosed_0624.html

11. Jun 24, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

12. Jun 24, 2007 #11
    Although I must admit, I found Amy Goodman to be very Liberal and annoying at first; I do enjoy her show. The quality of her news is far beyond what you can find on most other sources.

My two sources of news are Amy Goodman and Charlie Rose.

13. Jun 24, 2007 #12
    Great link Bob

This reads like some kind of spy counter spy novel. This is the type of activity that was going on in the old Soviet Union.

The article hints that Bush still calls the shots when Cheney goes off the deep end, but good god why should Cheney have this much control ?

So far it appears that just about everything that Bush did in regards to war and prisoner treatment shortly after 911 was initiated by Cheney.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  14. Jun 26, 2007 #13
    Just an update:
    At the end it says :
    "

Meanwhile, on Capitol Hill, one of Cheney's archenemies is now crafting a bill that would stop all funding for Cheney's office.

"He's acting as if he's unaccountable -- a whole fourth branch of government unto himself. So my view is if you're not in the executive branch we shouldn't fund you as the executive branch," Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., said.

Emanuel is set to introduce his bill this week. The vice president's spokeswoman accused Emanuel of "playing politics."
    "

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=3316434&page=1

15. Jun 26, 2007 #14
  16. Jun 26, 2007 #15

baywax

Gold Member

News about the US Vice President from 57 minutes ago:

Cheney Role As Power Broker In Spotlight Again (Reuter's Foundation)

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N26247653.htm

What I still don't understand is how all these diagrams of "secret train cars" and "semis full of WMDs" that were shown at the UN (to gain support for an invasion) didn't get this admin thrown out of office immediately when they were proven to be false, misleading and otherwise b*******.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  17. Jun 26, 2007 #16
    It was along time before the majority of the American people realized that the entire WMD fiasco was a hoax. Many people still believe that WMD are lurking somewhere out there buried in the desert.

The administration very cleverly convinced millions of Americans that Saddam was connected to 911. Then it was rebuild Iraq, then it was democracy for Iraq.

They played the game well, using Cheney's secret government within a government, even high ranking officials were suckered in. If they couldn't be sucked in they were left out of the loop.

To keep the momentum of the war going the administration started delivering train car loads of pure Bull to the American people. One of their fortes was to essentially make their own news. The White House had staged reporters asking questions at news conferences.

Cheney would have a fallacy leaked to one of the major news papers, then go on Meet The Press the next Sunday and use the news paper article as a reference to give the story credence.

If anyone spoke out against the war where American soldiers were in danger, the outspoken were called unAmerican at the least and a traitor at the worst. No politician wanted to risk being branded with that label, not even Democrats who knew by then that the war and it's premise were invalid.

But the biggest share of the blame can be laid on the Republican controlled Legislature for taking every thing they were told at face value and not challenging anything. Even when they knew it was wrong they still did not challenge the Bush Cheney cabal. Above all else they would not and still will not challenge the Bush/Cheney war machine. Nor would they ever support charging Cheney with any wrong doing.

This administration has run the best damn propaganda machine since Joe Stalin.

This excerpt from the Washington post series on Cheney sums up how He controlled the government.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2007
  18. Jun 27, 2007 #17

Mk

Nah, I think he's just a politician.

19. Jun 27, 2007 #18

baywax

Gold Member

Thank you Edward. When people question the motives and actions of their leaders its done not only to protect their service men and women from going into a conflict that is unnecessary or that is unethical but also to protect the nation and its reputation abroad.

"If'n yer not wit me yer agin me" is an old posse round-up ploy from a 50 year old cowboy movie. "Smoke em out" is another one. Obviously the speech writer was pandering to an affluent and influencial group who have just finished a career and have children who are of enlistment age and who have seen the old "ride em cowboy" movies. But it just ends up compromising and jeopardizing the entire population of every nation concerned. Its not a movie gang. There are far less intrusive ways to secure energy. The half a trillion dollars already spent would have proven very helpful toward securing a self-sufficient energy program for the whole of the United States of America. But America needed to respond to being attacked. I would think the appropriate response would be a scathingly thorough investigation by top, bipartisan, investigators into the incidents. Not a same day automatic declaration of we know "who dunnit".

20. Jun 27, 2007 #19

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

White House, Cheney's Office Subpoenaed

Hmmmm! Seems about time.

21. Jun 28, 2007 #20

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sounds more like "Clintonian" to me... Recall that Clinton invoked executive privilege to prevent Sid Blumenthal and Bruce Lindsey from testifying before Starr's Grand Jury. Of course that subpoena was given during the investigation of an actual crime unlike the Leahy-issued subpoena.

Yeah, thats "Nixonian" all right! Its hardly 'unprecedented'.

The Supreme Court has already ruled on this issue and the decision has been used both by a Democrat President and now a Republican one.

or

Of course the Senate can overcome the executive privilege if it can demonstrate that the subpoenaed documents are required to fulfill its legislative function. In this case the function of the Senate is to either approve or disapprove of the appointment of the US Attorney. The choice for the nomination or removal of US Attorneys is squarely within the Executive branch's realm.

Are the Democrats trying to rewrite the Constitution and overturn legal precedent in this matter stretching back to 1926?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?