Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cheney resigning?

1. Oct 19, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Newsmax....

Better delete this before you get scolded like i did when i posted a newsmax article.

4. Oct 19, 2005 #3
    Thanks Pengwuino.

5. Oct 19, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

They tried to chop off my beak when i posted from newsmax :cry: :cry: :cry:

6. Oct 19, 2005 #5
    I feel your pain.

Mike told me the rumor, I news-googled it, and there are several sources to choose from. But, it's a rumor, and not necessarily a very strong one.

7. Oct 19, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Cheney was suppose to retire 3 years ago.... then 2... then 1... then this summer... now this....

8. Oct 19, 2005 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Among the talking heads there has been discussion of a potential indictment against Cheney .

9. Oct 19, 2005 #8
    Among the taking heads there was previously discussion of WMD in Iraq.

Go figure...

10. Oct 19, 2005 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quit watching Fox news.

My sources have been mostly right all along about Bush and Iraq, but no one is certain about this grand jury.

Watch PBS and take the rest with a grain of salt.

11. Oct 19, 2005 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

heh, confirmation bias.

12. Oct 19, 2005 #11
    Did PBS actually say that "there are no WMD at all in Iraq"?

I watch Fox news, but don't take it seriously. The belief that there were WMD in Iraq prior to invasion was almost universal. Did you actually believe before the war that Saddam had no WMD? If so, what evidence persuaded you to believe that?

13. Oct 19, 2005 #12
    I thought there were no weapons, but I *also* thought that other countries were more of a threat. So -the whole picture was nuts - Syria and NK were greater threats, but bush kept pushing to invade Iraq.

My "evidence" for believing Iraq had no WMD was simple: their neighbors weren't concerned. Their neighbors were completely *unconcerned* about the 'possibility' of Iraq having weapons of mass destruction.

If their neighbors didn't consider Iraq a threat, why should the USA?

That was my main reason. My other reasons were the UN didn't think we should go in, the inspectors never sounded certain that they had weapons (if anything they seemed to generally err on the side of "no good evidence for weapons"), and Bush's demeanor has always seemed hell bent on his personal agenda and he also strikes me as being a cheat. * The arguments for WMD were strained. And the WMD "mantra" was drummed round the clock. (I worry that the case against Iran is going the same way, and that it is nothing much more than *psychology* that is making people think Iran is a threat. How stupid is that?)

In short, the evidence against WMD, was that all of the evidence *for* WMD was so flimsy. And Iraq's neighbors - who would not be subject to US propaganda but who *would* have every reason to be aware of Iraq's true status as a threat - were unconcerned.

Patty

(*Lately, Bush's occasional humbled demeanor has me thinking more charitably towards him as a person.)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2005
  14. Oct 19, 2005 #13

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I figured there were WMDs for one reason: when Saddam was given the ultimatum to allow full access to inspectors or be deposed, he balked, and that sure made him look guilty.

15. Oct 19, 2005 #14
    I remember watching some news channel and they're reporting on Bush's 'evidence'. Some black-and-white picture comes up on the screen of supposed WMD sites, except it's all blocky. You can't make out a single thing in this picture, all they did was put a red circle around a black blotch on a grey background, and I'm sitting there thinking "wtf?".

I didn't think there were any weapons.

16. Oct 19, 2005 #15

cronxeh

Gold Member

Yeah, an African American female President.. this should be interesting

OH NO HE DIDNT MENTION RACE!

17. Oct 19, 2005 #16
  18. Oct 19, 2005 #17

SOS2008

Gold Member

Right, and my understanding was we obliterated pretty much everything in the Gulf War.
    The only reason for some doubt, but I knew Saddam was as much a liar as Bush.
    Look away, quick! Don’t go to the dark side!!

19. Oct 19, 2005 #18

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

PattyLou,

Nice logic but your premise is wrong. The President of Egypt and the King of Jordan (e.g) were practically begging Bush to do something about Saddam's WMD - they were more than a little concerned.

20. Oct 19, 2005 #19

SOS2008

Gold Member

Other countries in the Middle East were not fans of Saddam. However, in searching for a credible source regarding Egypt and Jordon begging Bush to invade Iraq, I can't find anything. In fact, Iran would be most concerned seems to me -- But nothing.

21. Oct 19, 2005 #20
    The belief was almost universal because the administration told us that they had definitive proof that Saddam Hussein had WMDs. If they had mentioned that their "proof" came from an alcoholic with a reputation for making up intelligence, then I guarantee you that most people wouldn't have believed it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?