Older Student Seeking Help Learning Basic Chemistry

In summary, the conversation suggests that an older student is seeking resources to teach themselves basic chemistry before returning to college. Some recommended options include the "Chemistry as a Second Language" book series, attending a community college for a more hands-on experience, and using a used introductory college chemistry textbook with the help of online resources. A helpful link is also provided.
vjf07106
I an a older student that would like to go back to college. I want to teach myself basic chemistry before i go back. Could anybody recommend a book, tutoring software, or website that can help accomplish this task?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
vjf07106 said:
I an a older student that would like to go back to college. I want to teach myself basic chemistry before i go back. Could anybody recommend a book, tutoring software, or website that can help accomplish this task?

I read a series of books called "Chemistry as a second language" and "Organic chemistry as a second language" and both put the concepts in terms that anybody could understand. I can't remember the author but these books just made everything so simple that I finally got most of it.

Teaching yourself chemistry is dull and lacks the laboratory experience exercises. Attend a community college. If your mathematical development is low, study "Introductory Chemistry"; otherwise, try "Elementary Chemistry". None of them is a college transferrable course, but they are good in case you never studied Chemistry before.

Buy a used introductory college chemistry textbook and go through it. Use the internet and this forum if you have any difficulties. There is an amazing wealth of information on the internet and people willing to help if asked.

This link is very helpful:

http://www.shs.nebo.edu/Faculty/Haderlie/apchem/apchem.html

Last edited:

1. What are the best study strategies for an older student learning basic chemistry?

The best study strategies for an older student learning basic chemistry include creating a study schedule, breaking down complex concepts into smaller chunks, practicing with old exams and quizzes, seeking help from a tutor or study group, and actively engaging with the material through note-taking and hands-on activities.

2. How can an older student overcome challenges in understanding basic chemistry concepts?

An older student can overcome challenges in understanding basic chemistry concepts by seeking additional resources such as online tutorials, textbooks, and study guides, asking questions during class or office hours, and actively participating in class discussions and activities to reinforce understanding.

3. Is it normal to struggle with learning basic chemistry as an older student?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with learning basic chemistry as an older student. It is a complex subject that requires a strong foundation in math and science, and as an older student, you may have been away from these subjects for a longer period of time. However, with dedication and the right study strategies, you can overcome these challenges.

4. How can an older student stay motivated while learning basic chemistry?

An older student can stay motivated while learning basic chemistry by setting achievable goals, celebrating small victories, reminding themselves of the benefits of learning chemistry, and seeking support from friends, family, or a mentor.

5. Are there any resources specifically designed for older students learning basic chemistry?

Yes, there are resources specifically designed for older students learning basic chemistry, such as online courses, textbooks, and study guides. Some universities also offer remedial courses or workshops for older students returning to academia.