Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chenistry help

1. Apr 23, 2007 #1
    I an a older student that would like to go back to college. I want to teach myself basic chemistry before i go back. Could anybody recommend a book, tutoring software, or website that can help accomplish this task?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2007 #2

ssb

I read a series of books called "Chemistry as a second language" and "Organic chemistry as a second language" and both put the concepts in terms that anybody could understand. I cant remember the author but these books just made everything so simple that I finally got most of it.

4. Apr 23, 2007 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Teaching yourself chemistry is dull and lacks the laboratory experience exercises. Attend a community college. If your mathematical development is low, study "Introductory Chemistry"; otherwise, try "Elementary Chemistry". None of them is a college transferrable course, but they are good in case you never studied Chemistry before.

5. Apr 24, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Buy a used introductory college chemistry textbook and go through it. Use the internet and this forum if you have any difficulties. There is an amazing wealth of information on the internet and people willing to help if asked.

This link is very helpful:

http://www.shs.nebo.edu/Faculty/Haderlie/apchem/apchem.html

Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?