Cherenkov-effect + other EM relativity derivations: sources pls?

In summary, the person is looking for online sources to help them understand relativistic formulas for Maxwell's equations and related topics such as Cherenkov radiation. They are specifically interested in the constitutive equations for moving media, the Cherenkov effect, and the Fizeau experiment. They also mention a possible need for background in fourvector calculus, but they believe they can figure it out on their own. They express their gratitude for any assistance and suggest checking a free course at [PLAIN]www.plasma.uu.se/CED[/URL] if the needed information is not available in Jackson's book.
Tsunami
(Any help whatsoever is greatly appreciated)

I am looking for good online sources to help me understand relativistic formula's for the equations of Maxwell, and all the stuff that follows from it (like Cherenkov radiation).

I realize that's a pretty vague description, so if there is no general source that deals with all of this, I'm mostly looking for feedback on:

-the constitutive equations for moving media
-the Cherenkov effect
-the Fizeau experiment

.. and maybe some background on fourvector calculus, just for checkup (though I have the impression I'll figure it out by myself if I sit myself down for it).

I thank you in advance for your time and effort and enthusiasm too of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't have what you need in Jackson's book (preferably the latest,III-rd edition),then you can check the free course (and exercises) here

www.plasma.uu.se/CED[/URL]

Daniel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hello, thank you for reaching out for help with understanding the Cherenkov effect and other EM relativity derivations. Here are some online sources that may be helpful in your quest for understanding:

1. HyperPhysics - This website provides a comprehensive overview of the Cherenkov effect, as well as other electromagnetic relativity derivations such as the Lorentz transformations and the relativistic Doppler effect. It also includes interactive simulations and helpful diagrams to aid in understanding.

2. MIT OpenCourseWare - This online course from MIT goes into detail about the equations of Maxwell and how they relate to relativity. It also covers topics such as the Fizeau experiment and the Cherenkov effect.

3. Khan Academy - This website offers a series of videos and practice exercises on relativity, including topics such as the Lorentz transformations and the relativistic Doppler effect. It also covers four-vector calculus.

4. University of Colorado Boulder - This website provides a comprehensive lecture series on special relativity, covering topics such as the equations of Maxwell and the Cherenkov effect. It also includes helpful animations and practice problems.

I hope these sources will be helpful in your understanding. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the Cherenkov effect?

The Cherenkov effect is a phenomenon in which a charged particle, such as an electron, travels through a medium at a speed faster than the speed of light in that medium. This creates a cone of light known as Cherenkov radiation, which can be observed as a blue glow.

2. How is the Cherenkov effect related to relativity?

The Cherenkov effect is related to relativity because it is a consequence of the speed of light being constant in all frames of reference, as described by Einstein's theory of special relativity. The charged particle is traveling faster than the speed of light in the medium, but not faster than the speed of light in a vacuum.

3. What are some practical applications of the Cherenkov effect?

The Cherenkov effect has several practical applications in fields such as particle physics, medical imaging, and nuclear engineering. For example, it is used in particle detectors to identify and measure the energy of high-speed particles, and in positron emission tomography (PET) scans for medical imaging.

4. Are there other electromagnetic (EM) relativity derivations related to the Cherenkov effect?

Yes, there are other EM relativity derivations related to the Cherenkov effect. For example, the Cherenkov effect can be explained using Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields. Additionally, the Cherenkov effect is related to the concept of time dilation in special relativity.

5. Can you provide sources for further reading on the Cherenkov effect and other EM relativity derivations?

Some recommended sources for further reading on the Cherenkov effect and other EM relativity derivations include:

• "Cherenkov Radiation and its Applications" by Aleksandr Sergeevich Silin
  • "Introduction to Special Relativity" by Wolfgang Rindler
  • "Maxwell's Equations and the Principles of Electromagnetism" by Richard Fitzpatrick
  • "Particle Physics" by Brian Martin and Graham Shaw