Chernobyl Project: Learn Info, Find Radiation Levels

In summary, the Chernobyl project, specifically the steel dorm, is being built by the company Novarka. The current average radiation level in the exclusion zone varies depending on location, with higher levels closer to the CNPP. The Red Forest, which used to be west of the station, has a contamination level of over 1000 Curies per sq.km. There is a map available that shows the radiation levels in the area, and the liquidation process for the Red Forest is ongoing. In May 1986, the background radiation level in the Red Forest was measured at 32 R/h on the pavement and 50 R/h near the trees. A roof collapse at the Chernobyl plant due to heavy snow did
winnie_t
Hi,

does anyone know how to find out more information on the Chernobyl project? (the steel dorm) i.e. which company is actually designing and dealing with it?

Also, is there anyway to find out the current average radiation level?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The company building the new Sarcophagus is Novarka. Google can tell you more about them.

As for the average radiation level, it depends on where you are in the exclusion zone. Average air background dose rate is actually lower than cities due to things like decreased air pollution. However the soil in the zone varies in degrees of contamination and you can get hotspots with significantly higher dose rates than typical background levels. As you get closer to the CNPP itself the air dose rate increases due to the gamma emission from reactor no 4.

Last edited:
Hi Shisnu,

Thanks for the information!

regarding the radiation level, I'm interested to find out the level around the red forest. Do you have any idea where I can gain such information? It would actually be really interesting to see the change in radiation level around the area.

winnie_t said:
regarding the radiation level, I'm interested to find out the level around the red forest. Do you have any idea where I can gain such information? It would actually be really interesting to see the change in radiation level around the area.

I found this map (attached).
Red Forest used to be to the West of the station. On the map you see the fallout track going in that direction, with contamination of more than 1000 Curies (37 TBq) per sq.km.

Attachments

• Chernobyl-map.jpg
    Chernobyl-map.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 786
The map is amazing! thanks Nikkkom!
Have you got any idea when the data on the map is referring to?

winnie_t said:
Current state of the Red Forest
http://chornobyl.in.ua/en/current-state-red-forest.html

Red Forest: Liquidation
http://chornobyl.in.ua/en/red-forest-liquidation-1986.html

Word of the liquidator.
Measured in person ( May 1986). On the pavement in the center of the highway near the edge of the red forest background - 32 R / h, on the side near the trees - 50 R / h Appliances - DP5-B, DP3 (tank inside BRDM)
Captain Greenberg came to 80 R / h to determine background contamination or not shining everywhere, the instrument DP5-B. After a walk through the woods total single dose it was 56 R.

1R = 10 mSv

Last edited:

1. What is the Chernobyl Project?

The Chernobyl Project is an informational resource and tool that allows individuals to learn about the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and find information about the radiation levels in the surrounding areas.

2. How can I use the Chernobyl Project?

You can use the Chernobyl Project by visiting the website or downloading the app. From there, you can access information about the disaster, explore maps and data on radiation levels, and learn about the ongoing efforts to contain and clean up the site.

3. Is the radiation level data on the Chernobyl Project accurate?

Yes, the data on the Chernobyl Project is collected from reliable sources and is regularly updated. However, it is important to note that radiation levels can vary and may not reflect the current conditions in every area.

4. Can I contribute to the Chernobyl Project?

Yes, the Chernobyl Project welcomes contributions from individuals who have information or data to share about the disaster and its aftermath. You can contact the project team through the website or app to learn more about how to contribute.

5. Is it safe to visit the Chernobyl exclusion zone?

It is not recommended to visit the Chernobyl exclusion zone without proper authorization and protective gear. The area still contains high levels of radiation and can be dangerous for visitors. The Chernobyl Project is designed to provide information and raise awareness about the disaster, not to encourage visits to the exclusion zone.