Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chernobyl project

1. Jan 30, 2013 #1
    Hi,

does anyone know how to find out more information on the Chernobyl project? (the steel dorm) i.e. which company is actually designing and dealing with it?

Also, is there anyway to find out the current average radiation level?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2013 #2
    The company building the new Sarcophagus is Novarka. Google can tell you more about them.

As for the average radiation level, it depends on where you are in the exclusion zone. Average air background dose rate is actually lower than cities due to things like decreased air pollution. However the soil in the zone varies in degrees of contamination and you can get hotspots with significantly higher dose rates than typical background levels. As you get closer to the CNPP itself the air dose rate increases due to the gamma emission from reactor no 4.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  4. Jan 31, 2013 #3
    Hi Shisnu,

Thanks for the information!

regarding the radiation level, I'm interested to find out the level around the red forest. Do you have any idea where I can gain such information? It would actually be really interesting to see the change in radiation level around the area.

5. Jan 31, 2013 #4
    I found this map (attached).
    Red Forest used to be to the West of the station. On the map you see the fallout track going in that direction, with contamination of more than 1000 Curies (37 TBq) per sq.km.

Attached Files:

6. Jan 31, 2013 #5
    The map is amazing! thanks Nikkkom!
    Have you got any idea when the data on the map is referring to?

7. Feb 1, 2013 #6
    Current state of the Red Forest
    http://chornobyl.in.ua/en/current-state-red-forest.html

Red Forest: Liquidation
    http://chornobyl.in.ua/en/red-forest-liquidation-1986.html

Word of the liquidator.
    1R = 10 mSv

8. Feb 14, 2013 #7
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook