Chess and Ukraine: Gary Kasparov, Putin, and Chess.com

• News
  • Thread starter neilparker62
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the relationship between chess and the current political situation in Russia, with the speaker sharing a TED talk by ex World Chess Champion Gary Kasparov and an article about chess.com's stance on the war in Ukraine. The speaker also expressed their admiration for chess.com's position and the power of chess as a tool for critical thinking.
Given the huge popularity of chess in Russia, I thought the following might be significant. Firstly a TED talk given by ex World Chess Champion Gary Kasparov (who wrote the book "Winter is Coming" and remarked dryly that the sequel would have to be "Winter is Here" !) Modesty requires that one does not say "I told you so" so Gary modified to "I -bleeping- told you so" !

https://www.chess.com/news/view/kasparov-ted-talk-russia-war-ukraine-putin

Secondly I think chess.com have taken an excellent position wrt the war in Ukraine:

https://www.chess.com/article/view/on-the-invasion-of-ukraine

If from the above you think I am a spokesperson for chess.com, I am not. If however you conclude I am a fan of chess.com , I most definitely am!

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Drakkith and Lnewqban
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing the TED talk and article about the relationship between chess and the current political situation in Russia. I find it interesting to see how chess, a popular game, can also be used as a platform for discussing larger societal issues.

I agree with Kasparov's sentiment that chess is more than just a game, and can be a powerful tool for critical thinking and problem-solving. It is also fascinating to see how chess has become deeply intertwined with Russian culture and politics.

In terms of chess.com's stance on the war in Ukraine, I commend them for taking a clear and principled position. It is important for companies and organizations to use their platform and influence to speak out against injustice and violence.

Overall, it is clear that chess has a significant impact beyond the board and can be a force for positive change. Thank you for sharing these thought-provoking links.

1. What is the connection between chess and Ukraine?

Chess has a long history in Ukraine and is considered a national sport. Many top chess players, including former world champion Gary Kasparov, hail from Ukraine. The country has also hosted numerous international chess tournaments.

2. How is Gary Kasparov involved in the situation in Ukraine?

Gary Kasparov, a Ukrainian-born chess grandmaster, has been a vocal critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin and his actions in Ukraine. He has also used his platform as a chess player to raise awareness and support for Ukraine's struggle for independence.

3. What is Putin's involvement in the chess world?

Vladimir Putin has been a strong supporter of chess in Russia and has even played against top players like Gary Kasparov. However, his government has also been accused of using chess as a political tool, such as hosting the 2014 World Chess Championship in Sochi, Russia.

4. How does Chess.com play a role in the situation in Ukraine?

Chess.com, one of the largest online chess platforms, has been a platform for Ukrainian players to showcase their skills and compete with players from around the world. It has also been used as a platform for raising awareness and support for Ukraine's struggle for independence.

5. Can chess be used as a tool for political influence?

Chess has often been used as a symbol of strategy and power in political contexts. However, it is ultimately up to the players and their intentions. In the case of Ukraine and Russia, chess has been used by both sides to make political statements and gain support for their respective causes.