Why is a game of chess considered a draw?

• Thread starter TylerH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary, the conversation is about the game of chess and the concept of checkmate. The speaker is struggling to understand the rules and how to win, and they mention playing Chess Titans on Windows 7. They also mention stalemate, which is a draw in the game, and the importance of leaving a place for the king to hide in the opening game. The other person recommends starting with the Sicilian opening as it is considered tough and rewarding for the black player.
TylerH
I don't get it. It looks like checkmate...

By the way, I was playing Chess Titans, which comes with MS Windows 7.

Attachments

• Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 445
  • Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 461
Physics news on Phys.org
These examples are https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Stalemate" which conclude the game in a draw. No further moves can be made on the board given the position (for black and white** in your pictures). The game cannot continue and no victor can be declared.

EDIT: mistake! **

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh! I thought it was enough to block the king from having any moves that will not put it in check.

Hehe, no. You have to check the king with some figure. If he can't move while in check, then you win. Check-mate!

TylerH said:
I don't get it. It looks like checkmate...

By the way, I was playing Chess Titans, which comes with MS Windows 7.

For it to be a checkmate, the king has to be in check which is not the case.
So in the first case it is White's move. The pawn is immovable and the only open spaces for the king are guarded by black pieces. Since the rules do not allow you to make a move that puts your king in check, White is left with no legal move and the game is over.

Nope - the king has to be threatened for it to be checkmate.

Hehe. The state of affairs on the board isn't good for the black and white King.

Willowz said:
Hehe. The state of affairs on the board isn't good for the black and white King.

Yeah, I just started studying it seriously today. I need to work on my opening game, specifically, on leaving a place for my king to hide.

Good luck. Start right away with Sicilian. It's supposedly the toughest and most rewarding (for black that is).

1. How can a chess game end in a draw?

A chess game can end in a draw if both players agree to it, if there is a stalemate (when a player has no legal moves but is not in check), if there is a threefold repetition of the same position, or if there is not enough material on the board for either player to win.

2. Can a chess game end in a draw without both players agreeing to it?

Yes, a chess game can end in a draw without both players agreeing to it. As mentioned before, a stalemate, threefold repetition, or insufficient material on the board can also result in a draw.

3. What is a threefold repetition in chess?

Threefold repetition in chess refers to the same position occurring three times with the same player to move and the same possible moves available. This can result in a draw if both players agree to it.

4. Can a chess game end in a draw if one player is ahead in material?

Yes, a chess game can still end in a draw if one player is ahead in material. As long as there is not enough material on the board for either player to checkmate, the game will result in a draw.

5. Is a draw considered a win or a loss in chess?

A draw is neither considered a win nor a loss in chess. It is a result where neither player wins the game. In chess tournaments, a draw is usually counted as half a point, while a win is counted as one point and a loss is counted as zero points.