Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chess puzzle

1. Sep 27, 2004 #1
    This is a chess/math puzzle I invented:

Consider a fully set up chess board (in starting position).

Invent a condition (new rule) in which black wins without either side making any moves.

Note: this problem has a really abstract and *topological* approach. :rofl:

Please email me the solution (sophiek@brandeis.edu), or any questions/comments.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2004 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I hope you post the solution here soon too.
  4. Sep 27, 2004 #3
    Perhaps you should go into a little more depth about the content of the condition? I can think of a bunch of possible solutions off the top of my head, so a little clarification would help.
  5. Sep 27, 2004 #4
    the condition is on the board, not the pieces (or moves).

I also have a spoiler, but I am more interested to hear your ideas with out a give away.
  6. Sep 27, 2004 #5

Im a little confused though about exactly what I can do... I mean can I have a conditino like the board is slanted so the king falls off nd this signifies check mate? this can be done so only the white king falls...

Your conditions are still too general. Maybe you could come up with some more clarification...?
  7. Sep 27, 2004 #6
    I am not considering the application of any physical forces (such as gravity)
  8. Sep 27, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, there are several possible solutions, and none that we come up with is likely what you have in mind.

Here's one : If any of the squares in the first two rows from the end are vacant, the player on that side loses (white plays first).

This condition is "on the board" and ensures that white loses, but is probably not what you want.
  9. Sep 27, 2004 #8
    This is still too vague !

identify opposite edges : white is mate.
  10. Sep 27, 2004 #9
    It works also with a Moebius strip :tongue2:
  11. Sep 27, 2004 #10
    OK, I guess that would be double mate ?
    So identify the opposite edges without right to going through it on your turn ? A "virtual identification".
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  12. Sep 27, 2004 #11
    Inspired from Gokul : if any among rows 3 and 4 are not empty (5 and 6 for black) the corresponding king is mate
  13. Sep 27, 2004 #12
    Any king sitting on an odd row is mate
  14. Sep 27, 2004 #13

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

humanino...it seems you are quite the expert on mating ! :wink:
  15. Sep 27, 2004 #14
    New Chess Rule: If you are black you win automatically at the start of a chess game
  16. Sep 27, 2004 #15
    You cheated ! No rule on the pieces ! Only rules one the board. Well, that is not more silly than what I wrote anyway :rofl:
  17. Sep 27, 2004 #16
    I think the thing you may be thinking of is if the chess board was connected by the other end... kind of like an old video game where you go out one side and come in the other side. You allow the pieces to move backwards to the other end of the board and since white moves first white is in checkmate.... although its really more of stale mate since both pieces with be in checkmate ... (roughed out... sorry it is late.
  18. Sep 27, 2004 #17
    Here is another one : any player either touching a pieche sitting on a prime number row, or making any piece sitting on a prime number row looses the game.
  19. Sep 27, 2004 #18
    ah, but the game must be over before you touch the pieces
  20. Sep 27, 2004 #19
    ok, I cheated :smile:
  21. Sep 27, 2004 #20

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like this (though it begs some questions about 'what happened before') !

PS : I'm almost positive this is the correct answer as this makes the chessboard behave like a projective plane - and that's the "topological" thingy involved in it.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?