Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chess puzzle

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

White has pawns on h2,g2 and f2 and his king is on e1, black has pawns on h7 and g7 and his king is on e8 and the rest of the board is clear (probably best to set up the postion on Winboard and try playing it). White goes first and should get mate in approximately 30 moves, what is white's best tactic to acheive this (there are other ways I think, but as far as I can work out ther is a way that is defintely quicker and with less room for error than the others)?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You realize that under normal circumstances,this is a PLAIN DRAW,right...?

Daniel.

P.S.Your question/problem should be;think of the shortest set of moves that the black would do,in order to get chackmated....

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No white can win everytime, if you play two computers against each other it will probably be a draw as generally they won't have the depth to see the correct tactics.

5. Feb 24, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Incorrect.Every manual tells that 3->2 pawns is a draw...

However,human error is beyond controll.

Daniel.

6. Feb 24, 2005 #5

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's certainly not true try it when one pawn is pawn on the f file is moved to the a file and it is trivial to win, infact even 3 pawns vs 3 pawns is very much dependent on postion. I think you are confused with 3 vs 2 pawns for rook endings.

7. Feb 24, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anyway,it's very fuzzy------->useless discussing it without a board.

Daniel.

8. Feb 24, 2005 #7

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Realy it isn't a great puzzle a sthe tactics are justgood advice on pawn endings in general, but it is a good one to figure out by yourself, because white can always win in principle, but there's some many wyas to go wrong.

9. Feb 24, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I hope u realize the question u asked is trivial to answer.Then what would be the ISSUE,then...?

Daniel,

10. Feb 24, 2005 #9
    I play some chess too and when it comes to a situation like this I just move however, like "okay move king up or start pawns going." I don't even know how to start thinking properly about the situation. So what is the answer if it is so trivial?

11. Feb 24, 2005 #10

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The answer isn't that trivial. It's good general advice in pawn endeings to move your king first and don't move your pawns too early. In this the tactic is to not move your pawns at all at the start and use your king to attack the black pawns, most of the time black will try and attack your pawns. You only adavnce your pawns after you have taken the enemy pawns or to make the black king go out of his way, this means that you should be able to use your king to stop black from forcing a stalemate. If black decides to stay and defend his pawns white caneasily use his king and a pawn to force the black king into a bad postion to allow white to queen.

12. Feb 24, 2005 #11

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The answer to the OP OQ (:tongue2:) "(...)what is white's best tactic to acheive this(...)" is trivial:"PRAY TO GOD THAT BLACK RESIGNS"...

Daniel.

P.S....elegantly,by moving the king to a8 and then just moving it in that 4 square corner:a7-a8-b7-b8...:tongue2:

13. Feb 24, 2005 #12

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No theoretically white wins evrytime, there's no way black can guarantee a draw.

If black moves in the a7-a8-b7-b8 corenr then white just comes and takes both blacks panws and gets three queens and wins easily. I think you probably menat to say the h8 corner. If black sits back behinds his pawns white uses his king and a pawn to trap black then brings up his other pawns and finishes black off easily.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?