Chess Tournament solution check

• Thread starter mplayer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chess
In summary, the outcome of the chess tournament was A in first place with 3 points, B in second place with 2.5 points, C in third place with 2 points, D in fourth place with 1.5 points, and E in last place with 1 point.
mplayer
Not completely sure what branch of mathematics this problem belongs in, so please move it if its in the wrong sub-forum:biggrin:. This isn't really a homework problem, but one of the weekly questions posted by the mathematics department at my school. I think I have arrived at the correct solution, but would appreciate it if someone could check it for me. I will attempt to walk you through my reasoning as well as I can. Thanks!

Note: sorry for all the () I couldn't get the spacing to work correctly for me :frown:

Homework Statement

In a chess tournament in which each participant played the other participants exactly once, the order of finish was A first, B second, C third, D fourth, and E last. Sports Illustrated quoted B as saying "I would never have imagined that I'd be the only one who'd finish without a single loss", while player E was quoted as saying "And I'm the only one who didn't win at least one game." Based on this information, determine the outcome of each match in the tournament. Please recall the winner of a game gets 1 point, while in a tie each player receives 1/2 point. In this tournament no two players got the same number of points.

Homework Equations

20 possible combinations:

A vs { B,C,D,E}
B vs {A, C,D,E}
C vs {A,B, D,E}
D vs {A,B,C, E}
E vs {A,B,C,D }

Of these 20 combinations, 10 are unique.

This is the list of the 10 matches played between the 5 chess players:

A-B
A-C
A-D
A-E
B-C
B-D
B-E
C-D
C-E
D-E

After determining the matches played, I wrote out the characteristics of each player and their collection of matches:

[A] : -highest amount of points, first place
-at least one game lost
-at least one game won

: -second place
-at least one win
-zero losses

[C] : -third place
-at least one win
-at least one loss

[D] : -fourth place
-at least one win
-at least one loss

[E] : -last place
-at least one loss
-zero wins

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the above conditions, I wrote down the possibilities for each of the 10 matches:

1. (A-B) (B-win OR tie)
2. (A-C) (A-win OR C-win OR tie)
3. (A-D) (A-win OR D-win OR tie)
4. (A-E) (A-win OR tie)
5. (B-C) (B-win OR tie)
6. (B-D) (B-win OR tie)
7. (B-E) (B-win OR tie)
8. (C-D) (C-win OR D-win OR tie)
9. (C-E) (C-win OR tie)
10. (D-E) (D-win or tie)

Given the above possibilities, I wrote out tournament results that I think satisfy all constraints along with points earned each match:

1. (A-B) (B-win) (A=0 B=1)
2. (A-C) (A-win) (A=1 C=0)
3. (A-D) (A-win) (A=1 D=0)
4. (A-E) (A-win) (A=1 E=0)
5. (B-C) (tie) (B=1/2 C=1/2)
6. (B-D) (tie) (B=1/2 D=1/2)
7. (B-E) (tie) (B=1/2 E=1/2)
8. (C-D) (C-win) (C=1 D=0)
9. (C-E) (tie) (C=1/2 E=1/2)
10. (D-E) (D-win) (D=1 E=0)

Tournament point totals:

A = 3
B = 2.5
C = 2
D = 1.5
E = 1

Sorry for the length of the post, any input is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks in advance!Yes, this looks correct. A got 3 points, B got 2.5 points, C got 2 points, D got 1.5 points, and E got 1 point. This matches the given conditions.

I would say that your solution seems correct. Your approach of listing out the possible matches and their outcomes is a good way to approach this problem. It's also good that you considered the statements made by B and E in your solution, as they provide additional constraints to consider.

To double check your solution, you can also try to find other combinations of matches and outcomes that satisfy all the given constraints. If you cannot find any other solutions, then your solution is likely correct.

Overall, good job on arriving at a solution and providing clear reasoning for your approach. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a "Chess Tournament solution check"?

A "Chess Tournament solution check" is a method used to ensure that the results of a chess tournament are accurate and fair. It involves reviewing the games played, verifying the scores, and confirming that all rules were followed. This is important in order to determine the overall winner of the tournament.

2. How is a "Chess Tournament solution check" performed?

A "Chess Tournament solution check" is typically performed by a team of judges or officials who are knowledgeable about the rules and regulations of the game. They will review the game scores, compare them with the official records, and check for any discrepancies or violations. They may also consult with players and witnesses to gather additional information if needed.

3. Why is a "Chess Tournament solution check" necessary?

A "Chess Tournament solution check" is necessary to ensure that the tournament was conducted fairly and in accordance with the rules. It helps to prevent cheating and ensures that the final results are accurate. It also provides a sense of transparency and integrity to the tournament.

4. When is a "Chess Tournament solution check" usually performed?

A "Chess Tournament solution check" is usually performed after the tournament has ended and the final results have been announced. However, in some cases, it may also be performed during the tournament if there are any concerns or disputes that need to be addressed.

5. Who is responsible for conducting a "Chess Tournament solution check"?

The responsibility for conducting a "Chess Tournament solution check" typically falls on the organizers of the tournament, who may appoint a team of judges or officials to carry out the task. In some cases, an independent third party may also be brought in to ensure impartiality and fairness in the process.