Chevalley Eilenberg Complex

• Algebra
  • Thread starter fresh_42
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good book on Chevalley-Eilenberg complexes of arbitrary Lie algebras, specifically those that are not semisimple. The Whitehead Lemmata are mentioned as an example of what the book should cover, rather than being the main subject. The conversation also mentions some books that deal with Lie groups, but not Lie algebras, and the speaker is looking for a source that focuses on the Chevalley-Eilenberg complex for non semisimple Lie algebras. They are unsure if such a book exists and are trying to determine if their approach is valid.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
Does anybody know a good book about especially the Chevalley Eilenberg complexes of arbitrary Lie algebras, i.e. not automatically semisimple Lie algebras, and where the Whitehead Lemmata are more an example than the main subject.

@lavinia, @A. Neumaier perhaps?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you cannot find here: Azcarraga, J., Izquierdo, J. - Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, Cohomology and Some Applications in Physics (CUP, 1995), then I wonder which better source you can get.

dextercioby said:
If you cannot find here: Azcarraga, J., Izquierdo, J. - Lie Groups, Lie Algebras, Cohomology and Some Applications in Physics (CUP, 1995), then I wonder which better source you can get.
Thanks, but they basically deal with Lie groups. The chapter about Lie algebras contains only the standard results as far as I can judge from the list of contents, and which are closely related to semisimple Lie algebras, as they are - with a few exceptions (Heisenberg, Poincaré) - the only ones with physical relevance. Then they have a little bit of the BRST calculus which again is physics.

I have some good books (Hilton - Stammbach, Varadarajan, Humphreys) and even one about group cohomology (Brown), but I'm especially interested in the Chevalley - Eilenberg - complex, will say where this approach leads to beside some basic classical results as the Whitehead lemmata. I have such a complex for non semisimple Lie algebras and try to figure out, whether there are substantial results or whether this approach is more or less hot air. One of my difficulties is, that although my Lie algebra is a linear one, I do not know a corresponding group; except some specific integrations in small dimensions of course.

1. What is the Chevalley Eilenberg Complex?

The Chevalley Eilenberg Complex is a mathematical tool used in algebraic topology to study the cohomology of topological spaces. It is a cochain complex, which is a sequence of abelian groups connected by homomorphisms, that encodes information about the topology of a space.

2. How is the Chevalley Eilenberg Complex constructed?

The complex is constructed by taking the space of multilinear maps from a vector space to itself, and then taking the direct sum of these spaces over all possible numbers of inputs. The differential is then defined as the alternating sum of the partial derivatives.

3. What is the significance of the Chevalley Eilenberg Complex?

The complex is significant because it allows for the computation of the cohomology of a space, which is an algebraic invariant that captures topological information. It also has applications in other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.

4. How is the Chevalley Eilenberg Complex used in practice?

In practice, the complex is often used to compute the cohomology of specific spaces, such as Lie groups or Lie algebras. It can also be used to prove theorems about topological spaces, such as the Brouwer fixed point theorem.

5. Are there any variations or extensions of the Chevalley Eilenberg Complex?

Yes, there are several variations and extensions of the complex, such as the Hochschild-Kostant-Rosenberg complex and the de Rham complex. These variations have different constructions and may be used to study different types of spaces or in different areas of mathematics.