Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chi or Rayleigh or Ricean?

1. Jun 17, 2011 #1
    Hello all,

I've been working on error analysis of the system, and I finally faced a big problem.

Let X~N(mu1, sigma1^2) and Y~N(mu2, sigma2^2), and Z=sqrt( X^2 + Y^2 )

For Z to be a Chi, mu's should be zero and sigma's should be 1, to be a Rayleigh, mu's should be zero and two sigma's should be the same, and finally to be a Ricean, mu's can be different from each other, but two sigma's should be the same.

Yes, that's all I know. But in my case, mu's are different and sigma's are different as well. In this case, what is 'Z'?

I appreciated it in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2011 #2
    Plz help!!

4. Jun 17, 2011 #3
    It's a non-central chi distribution.

5. Jun 17, 2011 #4
    For a non-central chi distribution, means can be different. But can variances be different as well? As far as I know, variances must be 1.

6. Jun 17, 2011 #5
    Err, sorry, got a bit over-enthusiastic and thought it should fit nicely, but seems it doesn't after all, so yes looks more complicated.

7. Jun 17, 2011 #6
    And don't think you'll get a nice analytic distribution for this. There seem to be a few numerical methods out there for managing the distribution of a linear combination of non-central chi squared random variables though, which is fairly close to what you want (apart from the square root)

8. Jun 17, 2011 #7
    thank you so much. I'll look it up.

9. Jun 19, 2011 #8
    How is the Z derived in the error analysis?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook