1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chi-square method

1. Nov 23, 2006 #1
    Hi,

I trying to complete an exercise, but I have the idea that it is completely wrong what I'm doing. I use Matlab to program the exercise, and that is not the problem.

The exercise is:
    Part a looks like very easy, so that was not a problem to do. I have only no idea what they mean in part b. I have the formula:
    X^2=sum((O_i-E_i)^2/E_i with O_i the observed data and E_i the expectation value. But what will be E_i? An element of the possion dist. or something different?

Second question is about the value of p^*. How can I calculate it? I have seen the definition p^*=P(D>=d|model is correct) where D is the difference between the model and the expectation value. But what is d? That should be a value for you think that the method is good... And if I have d and D, I have totally no idea how to calculate P^* :(

Thanks for your answers and your time!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

E_i can be anything you want; typically 0.

Look at a Chi-sq table; the P* will be stated for the X^2 you have calculated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?