How to Show That W Follows a Gamma Distribution

• Thread starter gerv13
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two gamma distributions, Z1 and Z2, and their sum Z. It is shown that Z follows a gamma distribution with parameters (alpha1 + alpha2, beta). The second part of the question involves a variable W, which is related to Chi^2. The conversation suggests that there may be more information or a previous question that defines W, and the solution to that question is used to show that W follows a gamma distribution with parameters (k/2, 1/2). The conversation also includes a calculation for the cumulative distribution and density functions of W1, which leads to the conclusion that W1 also follows a gamma distribution with these parameters.
gerv13
Hi, For this question:
If Z1 ~ [tex]\Gamma(\alpha1, \beta)[/tex] and Z2 ~ [tex]\Gamma(\alpha2, \beta)[/tex]; Z1 and Z2 are independent, then Z = Z1 + Z2 ~[tex]\Gamma(\alpha1+\alpha2,\beta)[/tex]. Hence show that [tex]W [/tex]~ [tex]\Gamma(k/2,1/2)[/tex]

Well i know how to do the first part, by just multiplying the moment generating function of the gamma. But i don't understand what the W is referring to in the second part of the question, am i supposed to use the fact that Chi^2 ~ [tex]\Gamma(1/2,1/2)[/tex]?

If so, do i just somehow put the k instead of a 1?

Any guidance would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

There must be some other part of the problem, or something to which it makes a reference, that defines W. Can you find it?

well in my lecture notes we answered the question "show that Chi^2 ~ Gamma(1/2,1/2)" and then they end with [tex]\therefore W_1[/tex]~Gamma(1/2,1/2). I am not sure if that question relates to the question that I'm supposed to be answering.

But I don't really understand what they did. Maybe if someone can explain it to me it would help me to answer this question:

The cumulative distribution function of W1:
P(W1<w)
= [tex]P(-\sqrt{w} z1 < \sqrt{w}) [/tex]
= [tex]I (\sqrt{w} ) - I(-\sqrt{w} )[/tex] Note: the I is has a 0 through it
= [tex]2I(\sqrt{w} ) - 1[/tex]

Density Function of W1:
[tex]2\frac{d I (\sqrt{w} )}{dw}[/tex]
= [tex] 2 [/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\Pi}} e^{\frac{-w}{2}} [/tex][tex]\frac{1}{2}w^{-1/2}[/tex] (*)
= [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\Pi}} e^{\frac{-w}{2}}[/tex] [tex]w^{-1/2}[/tex]

[tex]\therefore W_1[/tex] ~ Gamma(1/2,1/2).

I don't understand where the [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\Pi}} e^{\frac{-w}{2}} [/tex] came from in lines (*)

So would this help me to answer my question? Coz this is the only thing in my notes before my original question

thanks guys

What is a Chi-Square Test?

A Chi-Square Test is a statistical test used to determine if there is a significant difference between the expected frequencies and the observed frequencies in a categorical data set. It is commonly used to analyze the relationship between two categorical variables.

When should a Chi-Square Test be used?

A Chi-Square Test should be used when the data set consists of categorical variables rather than continuous variables. It is commonly used in fields such as biology, social sciences, and market research.

How do you calculate a Chi-Square Test?

To calculate a Chi-Square Test, you first need to determine the expected frequencies for each category. Then, you calculate the Chi-Square statistic by taking the sum of (observed frequency - expected frequency)^2 / expected frequency for each category. This value is then compared to a critical value from a Chi-Square table to determine if the results are significant or due to chance.

What is the significance level in a Chi-Square Test?

The significance level in a Chi-Square Test is the probability of obtaining a result as extreme or more extreme than the observed result, assuming the null hypothesis is true. Typically, a significance level of 0.05 is used, meaning that there is a 5% chance that the results are due to chance rather than a true relationship between the variables.

What does a significant result in a Chi-Square Test indicate?

A significant result in a Chi-Square Test indicates that there is a significant difference between the expected and observed frequencies, and therefore, a relationship between the two categorical variables being studied. This result does not indicate the strength or direction of the relationship, only that one exists.