1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chi-square Problem

1. Oct 26, 2011 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

rthk4w.png

The attempt at a solution

I started by finding the expected frequencies corresponding to the intervals. I used the z-table for this. I got a chi-square value of 3.47.

The answer, however, should be 1.98.

Should I have used the z-table as mentioned earlier, or should I use the t-table? If so, how would I use the t-table?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I got a chi-square value of 2.568.

You should NOT use the t-table, because the t-distribution applies to a completely different problem (estimating the mean)

RGV

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Yes, you should use the z-table, since that represents the normal distribution that you want to test against.

One of the preconditions for Pearson's chi-squared test is that the events must have a total probability of 1.
    So we need to add 2 categories (x<0.65 and x>1.35) with observed frequency 0 for a total of 9 categories.
    @RGV: Is it possible you missed that?

Using that I get a chi-square value of 3.17.
    @Precursor: How did you get 3.47?

With 9-3=6 degrees of freedom that gives a p-value of 0.79.
    Since a p-value of 0.05 is required, we can not reject the normal-distribution-hypothesis.

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4

I like Serena

Homework Helper

6. Oct 28, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, the first time I did it I forget that; but I did it again (before you posted) with first category (-infinity,0.75) and final category (1.25,infinity) and got Chi^2 = 1.91255.

Your suggestion to take two new categories (< 0.65) and (>1.35) is NOT recommended: it is too arbitrary and is adding fictitious categories. For example, I could add a bunch of new categories, say (-infinity,0.05),(0.05,0.15),(0.15,0.25),(0.25,0.35),... , all with observed frequencies = 0 but non-zero theoretical frequencies. This would increase the value of Ch^2 and increase the number of degrees of freedom. The alternative, to expand the first one (0.65,0.75) into (-infinity,0.75) is more justifiable (and is essentially what the link you provide does near the bottom).

RGV

7. Oct 28, 2011 #6

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Nice! :smile:
    We're almost there (1.98).
    I also draw the conclusion that calculating the chi-square test statistic gives you some freedom of choices that have quite some impact on the test statistic (although the resulting p-values are pretty close).
    Adding a lot of fictitious categories does worsen the p-value significantly though.

I do wonder, aren't we throwing out some information here, since extending the category (0.65, 0.75) removes the information of the lower bound?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook