1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chi Squared Analysis help?

1. Nov 14, 2007 #1
    Hi all, just a quick query about data analysis:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Having been asked to use Chi Squared analysis to test the validity of a fit, I have calculated my data to have a reduced chi squared of ~ 0.75 to 2 dp. I know that a reduced chi squared (chi squared / number of degrees of freedom) much lower than 1 suggests that the errors have been overestimated, but I can't find what the "accepted" value for <<1 is; i.e. is 0.75 too far from one to be considered alright for a fit? My course notes only say

"For a good fit, reduced chi-squared will be about 1.
    A value << 1 suggests you overestimated the uncertainties.
    For a value > 1, the probability that the fit is reasonable drops accordingly."

Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 16, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Firstly, an alternative def. of the reduced C.S. stat is "Chi-Sq./Variance" (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodness_of_fit)

Going with your def, if the predicted data fit reasonably well to the actual, then Chi-Sq. will be a small number (e.g., < 1). For a moderate fit, it may be somewhat large, but not too large (e.g., < 2). Note that the deg. of frdm > 1. So for a good fit, Chi-Sq./DOF will be < 1. For a moderate fit, Chi-Sq./DOF might be around 1 or slightly higher than 1. If Chi-Sq./DOF >> 1 then the fit must be poor. Which gives you a quick rule of thumb for evaluating the fit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?